The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Getting up to speed with ultra high ress scans

fgpm

Hi i have been shooting film for a while along side of digital and after a lots rolls and sheets i think it's time to build a set up for ultra high ress scans to produce large prints and pull everything from film i theorized a few options and id need to discuss them

1) drum scanner
Simply the best- no sensor in between straight from the grain to the digital file in full res without interpolation but from waht i have seen unless there are other option than buying refurbished scanner from the few that are selling them the price are off charts, and learningis curve is though,is also true that once i get great results from it could consider charging for the service of the scans and it would be an investment set in stone but id rather avoid to spend 20-30k+€ plus training

2)Reprographic set up with my current camera

i have an hasselbad x2d and i could build a reprographic system with it , but i don't know from where i should start, to match at least on paper the resultion of a drum scanner i would need to consitently stich 2-4 immages for 6x6 negatives and 3-6 immages for 6x8-6x9( it would get even worse with large format) negatives so id need to set up eveything to consitently move the negative or the camera the X and Y axis with out with out introducing misallingment or miss focus , on the lens side aside from the hasselbad macro option i don't know where to start the only repro lens i have heard of are the alpa/rodenstock ones the lens would need to be so good to avoid any a bottleneck to the sensor , even with the best set up it would be the cheapest set up but im not still shure if the cmos sensor of the x2d is up to the task of repro and i would get color interpolated immages ( hasselblad might build in the future a multi shoot x2d but at the moment who know with 100mp full rgb data but at the moment is unclear )

Build a repro system with a digital back

Same questions as above but with extra question of which Back should i get , the best one would be would probably the multishoot hasselbad 400c (100mp full color data with the extra option of 400mp 6 shoots) but getting it new is out or question and didn't find anyone used for a good price , the other more viable options are iq3100 iq380 and h6-100c, i also wondered if an achromatic(mainly iq100a and iq260A) back could be use to procude full rgb accurate color scans by shooting each scan 3 times while changing filter(which filter ?) in between and merge them in photoshop (a technicolor trichirome procedure)

Let me know you opnions about which route i should pursuit and how i could therefore reach the goal im trying to achieve