The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H battery rebuild and upgrade...at a fraction of the cost

docholliday

would you sell a battery with the adapter already made to some of us?
I love the idea of using the Sony battery but I don’t have the knowledge to create it.
The packs that BatterySpace make already have the option of the BEC connector. You can order them with the connector prewired as the connector option and then it's just plug-n-play. You'll still need to open the pack, clear and hollow the space, and insulate the upper connectors yourself before the new pack will fit.

erickphoto

The packs that BatterySpace make already have the option of the BEC connector. You can order them with the connector prewired as the connector option and then it's just plug-n-play. You'll still need to open the pack, clear and hollow the space, and insulate the upper connectors yourself before the new pack will fit.
I only have the older battery grips that have the smaller batteries. I understood that the pre made one only fits inside the newer grips. Mine are the 1850mah.
Also, bad luck, my charger stopped working today. There is no juice going out anymore, the LED won’t turn on anymore. 😩
And I was asking more so of the Sony batter adapter thing. That was great.

docholliday

I only have the older battery grips that have the smaller batteries. I understood that the pre made one only fits inside the newer grips. Mine are the 1850mah.
Also, bad luck, my charger stopped working today. There is no juice going out anymore, the LED won’t turn on anymore. 😩
And I was asking more so of the Sony batter adapter thing. That was great.
Ah, I see... I didn't make the one that was listed above. However, it'd be as simple as gutting the batteries you have, drilling and grommeting a flexible lead, and adding the sled. It's a simple 2-wire job, just + to + and - to -.

erickphoto

Ah, I see... I didn't make the one that was listed above. However, it'd be as simple as gutting the batteries you have, drilling and grommeting a flexible lead, and adding the sled. It's a simple 2-wire job, just + to + and - to -.
Thanks! If I understand correctly, I could buy this adapter https://amzn.to/4cgDTP7
Cut the dummy battery, split the wire and solder it to the black and red wires inside the battery grip?
I feel confident doing that part.

robmac

Yup, any NPF battery 'sled' will work. The metal Smallrig one is great. One caution: Many sleds have multiple power points for 7.4V, say 12v and sometimes 5V. They usually have different size connectors, but just ensure any port with > 7.4V port can ever be accidentally used. Any 5V port can come in handy for charging an iphone or ipad if not in use on the camera when on location.

Just open the dead battery case, remove ONLY the battery by clipping the two leads as close to the battery as possible (leaving as much wire as possible). If need be, solder and shrink-wrap two small wire extensions. Wire a socket to the battery leads (+ to +, etc), drill a hole in the bottom of the casing, install the socket, test the grip contacts with a cheap multimeter to ensure all working, then close the case with a good 'superglue' or plastic epoxy.

Anyone comfortable with a a soldering gun could do the wiring part in 15 min flat.

There are all sorts of variations on how you could do it, but the basic concept is the same - you replace the internal battery with a convenient external source of the right voltage that can deliver the current the camera will 'demand'. The Sony-style batteries work great because they meet the specs, they're cheap, plentiful and come in a wide variety of capacities.

citizin

A user on reddit added usb-c charging to the older packs. Worth a checkout and It'd be great to see the usb-c replace the barrel jack.

reddit

bigfish007

docholliday thanks for posting everything! What did you use to reseal up the battery with in the end? Silicone?
I couldn't find what ever you used?

bigfish007

I've done all my Batteries.

Three of the larger grips with 2x Panasonic 3600mah 18650 cells.
Five of the smaller grips. replaced the CGA14500 with 2x Panasonic 2040mah 18500 cells.
Can you explain what you did to replace the Panasonic 2040 cells. Did you have to solder the connections to the battery?

docholliday

docholliday thanks for posting everything! What did you use to reseal up the battery with in the end? Silicone?
I couldn't find what ever you used?
When everythngs basically done did you put any silicone around the top (under the topside contact piece) or just inside bottom?
I didn't seal it with anything - the case clips back together perfectly if you get the cells that don't have the protectors on the end. If you're upgrading an older pack to new cells, you have to use small cells or make something to cover up where they hang out the bottom. If the top doesn't snap back in place, it's usuallly because you've cut into the groove or the shell is cracked. I use Loctite 4310 to seal everything nowadays, full UV cure. I haven't touched any silicone in a decade!

bigfish007

I ordered the same one you linked with the bEC already on it pin one positive for the 2900 mah grip. Thanks for the reply. I also want to change one of my older 1850 battery packs. I was going to get the 2040 mah. They come as singles. I just didn’t know how those batteries are connected. Do I have to spot weld the terminals? I couldn’t find anything on specifics. Thank you so much for the reply.

bigfish007

Used the wire that was there, and soldered them right on, easy peasy.
Thanks I figured it was the only way. Did the Panasonic batteries last as long as the oem batteries. My experience is any of these aftermarket replacement batteries never hold up as well. It’s still worth it for the overall cost even if you replace them twice as often. Thank you for the reply.

docholliday

Thanks I figured it was the only way. Did the Panasonic batteries last as long as the oem batteries. My experience is any of these aftermarket replacement batteries never hold up as well. It’s still worth it for the overall cost even if you replace them twice as often. Thank you for the reply.
The reason that many OEM batteries lasted longer (or seemed like it) was because they are underrated. The charge/balance boards may be set for say 1850mah max, but the cells were 2100mah. A lot of Sony devices have a mode called "Stamina" that limits the charge to 80% and Lenovo has user selectable charge limits in Vantage. Most decent manufacturers will provide some sort of limiting to preserve cell life. It's just that "back in the day", it was usually by design instead of being a user option. You enable the option and think "crap, I'm only charged to 80%" but if you didn't know, you'd carry on thinking you were "fully charged".

citizin

Longer in my exp, but I never used a new oem one. I did use some aftermarket CGA103450 and original sourced ones. I found the 18500's were equal or better. The oem's raw cells were samsung in the packs i opened. If I remember correctly.

I saw someone add a usb-c charger into the packs. In the summer I'm going to see if I can full usbc BMS conversion since I have a few paks with a burnt bms.