The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Phocus with adapted lenses

anyone

Hi there,
I was shooting recently my CFV100c with adapted lenses (Pentax 645 300mm 5.6). I was surprised to see vignetting that must come from the adaptation path: Mirex P645 > Canon EF > Hasselblad X. Even more surprised I was that I could not do any vignetting correction with Phocus, I can simply not check the mark next to the vignetting slider.

Does anybody else have this issue? How do you correct vignetting with adapted lenses?

Thank you!

Hel

It seems that the vignetting slider only works with XCD lenses (H ? Don´t know..)

With adapted lenses you have to specify which one you are using.

Per default, this is set to "other" and the vignetting slider is greyed out.

Unfortunately, there are only presets for hasselblad lenses, so choose one that comes close and try your luck from there?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I think the Canon adapter is the culprit here. I don’t have vignetting problems with any adapted 645 lenses.

anyone

+1 for the Canon-to-Hasselblad adapter: on my GFX, there is no vignetting.

Concerning the correction of vignette in Phocus, I must say that I’m deeply disappointed with this piece of software, when you cannot even correct vignette of any adapted lens. It’s a most basic function…

mristuccia

I'd rather take an LCC shot than guesstimating a preset that could work.

Generally speaking, I agree with you that Phocus seems rather limited and deeply focused on HB stuff only.
That's also one of the reasons I like it, In a way. I mean, its minimalism makes me spend less time fiddling in front of my computer.
That implies however working under its assumptions and constraints.

anyone

Thank you for the hint with the LCC! Probably that's the way to go. While I kind of agree about the simplicity, I still cannot understand why you'd grey out the slider for vignette correction on non-native lenses.

mristuccia

... I still cannot understand why you'd grey out the slider for vignette correction on non-native lenses.
In general, it seems that Phocus is lacking the "manual" tab for lens correction. It only features the profiled one, and thus it needs the lens profile.
I don't seem to see any manual lens distortion correction either, if I'm not wrong.

Honestly, as a developer I must admit that I cannot correctly implement a vignette correction tool without knowing the exact lens profile/behaviour.
I can of course implement a generic one with some parameters, but it will never be 100% right on any lens.

anyone

I guess this is a case of "getting to know all the quirks of your equipment in order to develop workarounds". I'd have preferred to have a manual option as in C1, Photoshop, or the like, but a LCC works as well. I'll just have one for f8 and f11.

Ah, and while we are at quirks: there also does not seem to be a way in Phocus to add which lens was used ...

mristuccia

Ah, and while we are at quirks: there also does not seem to be a way in Phocus to add which lens was used ...
At the beginning, I used to write down all the informations in the IPTC Core "Instruction" field, including any shift, exposure time, focus, etc... You can do this in Phocus by means of the "Browse" tab.

Then, to speed up my process, I've developed an iPhone App where I take note of all those data (manually entered) while I'm in the field. This app is able to export/share all data via the usual sharing options of the smartphone (for example by email).
I've also developed a companion application which runs on my desktop pc. It takes the exported data and automatically writes them into the metadata fields of the corresponding FFF files. It can put the various data in their specific EXIF fields (lens, exposure time, aperture, ...), and/or optionally write all of them into the "Instruction" field if the IPTC Core section.

Last edited:

DJCZ

At the beginning, I used to write down all the informations in the IPTC Core "Instruction" field, including any shift, exposure time, focus, etc... You can do this in Phocus by means of the "Browse" tab.

Then, to speed up my process, I've developed an iPhone App where I take note of all those data (manually entered) while I'm in the field. This app is able to export/share all data via the usual sharing options of the smartphone (for example by email).
I've also developed a companion application which runs on my desktop pc. It takes the exported data and automatically writes them into the metadata fields of the corresponding FFF files. It can put the various data in their specific EXIF fields (lens, exposure time, aperture, ...), and/or optionally write all of them into the "Instruction" field if the IPTC Core section.
May I ask whether your PC tool is based on Exiftool?

mristuccia

Thanks for your quick response, does your app also work on Mac or only PC?
Well, actually the main version is for Mac, as I use it myself on the latest MBP M3 Max.
I'm also preparing new installation kits for Linux and Windows, as they are older in version right now.

Let's not derail this thread however. Moreover, I don't want to break the rules of this forum by talking about my personal business here. If you wish to know more, I'm glad to explain. Please send me a PM.

Last edited: