The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X2D, image in EVF not sharp?

Ai_Print

Ok, I have had this camera for a bit now and I just have to try to sort something out.

The image quality is outstanding, the size of the view in the EVF is movie theatre like and the AF is generally spot on. But I can not help noticing that the image it self in the viewfinder is fairly soft, not nearly as much detail as even my original Z6 and I now have a Z7II, Z8 and Z9. The shot image I review in the EVF is sharp at any magnification but the live image is pretty low res it would appear. When I punch in 100% to check focus in MF it seems like it should, but not showing the full frame.

I have poured over the menu settings numerous times and have found nothing to adjust in this regard. I have also made sure I am spot on in my diopter adjustment. So is something off in my camera and it should be super sharp or is it just not as sharp an image as a live feed as my other cameras and that is the way of it?

I can live with it, but it is soft enough in that it does not instill the confidence I get in hitting focus with my Nikon mirrorless bodies and thus makes me feel a bit disconnected from the image making.

I’m hoping someone tells me I am daft and have missed a setting.

Last edited:

bab

Viewfinder: 0.5-inch 5.76 million dot OLED EVF, 100% coverage not the best resolution available it’s was the manufacturer choice and they choose 5.76m not 9
Also hasse really the best with live view past or present offerings
They do listen to their customers though they just don’t make the right choices very often

Paul2660

5.76m should be plenty of resolution to display the live you in a crisp view. I especially if the image review magnification is sharp at 100%. With the Fuji GFX I always felt that the 3.86 million resolution of the EVF was not enough to display the image at 100% and always ended up scaling the image back with my fingers.

The only Camera I have with over 5 million pixel EVF is the Leica SL two, which has no problems displaying its image at 100% however, it’s a much smaller resolution sensor overall. I will say that when a multi shot image is displayed in the PDF or the LCD, the image is cropped considerably, and you are unable to go all the way to the actual edge of the file. This is only true on a multi shot image which is a huge megapixel image.

As I have grown older in my eyes less sharp, I find I rely 100% man automatic AF. Glad to see that it works great with the Hasselblad oh

It’s still impressive to see the live view on the Phase One back both in live view and image review. Still not sure what LCD is used in that the backs in regards to resolution, is as I’ve never seen it published but it does a phenomenal job

I hope there is a setting in the camera to resolve the issue for you.

Paul

Ai_Print

To be clear, the image degradation / lack of clarity is not when I am zoomed in to 100%, but when the whole image is shown.