The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

[Help] Choosing the right lens for my first tech cam

huyu

Hi guys,

I'm getting the Cambo WRC-400 soon, but I haven't had the lens yet. TBH I don't know which one to start first
Budget-wise is limited, for now, this is the first time using this kind of camera so I'm kinda in the testing phase.
(No techcam user in my area so very hard to try these)
I'm using IQ380 & IQ1-100. I shoot interior & architecture occasionally. I'm familiar with the Canon TS 24mm focal length so I'm looking for the same length.
In the future, maybe I will get the IQ3100 to have ES - I think it's easier to deal with...

Thank you,

dchew

That is a tough one to answer! If your primary use case is architecture, then you will have to decide now much shift you need vs how much distortion you can put up with. There are several lenses in the focal length range you are looking for. In general, most users agree with the following comparison between Schneider-Kreuznach and Rodenstock. None of these are true across the board; there are always exceptions:
  • Wide open, Rodenstock lenses perform better; they are sharper across the field with more contrast at the edges.
  • Rodenstock lenses tend toward retrofocus designs, while SK tend toward symmetric designs.
  • For a given focal length, Rodenstock lenses are larger and heavier.
  • Wide angle SK lenses have less distortion vs their Rodenstock equivalent.
  • For wide angles, Rodenstock lenses will have less color cast and less vignetting vs their SK counterpart.
  • Center filters are more important on SK lenses. Unless you are using a newer BSI sensor, assume a center filter is necessary for all SK lenses < 72mm.
  • Rodenstock stated image circles are hard and fast; they utilize a mechanical “stop” on wide angles that defines the edge of the usable image circle. SK stated image circles are more liberal; some may argue the usable image circle is not as large as stated due to a falloff in image quality. Again, there are exceptions like the f/5.6 60XL and the f/5.6 120 ASPH. The usable image circle will depend on whether a center filter is applied, the specific digital back used, the LCC process, image content and the photographer's sensitivity to color and/or image quality in the corners.
For the lenses in the 24mm equivalent focal length:
  • Sk28: Very good, but you really should have the IQ4150 to go with it. Too much color cast for any shift on the backs you have. Needs the CF.
  • 32hr: Excellent lens, big, heavy, expensive and you need to transport it with some care; don’t walk with it on the camera attached to the tripod over your shoulder. If you want the absolute best wide lens and don’t care about weight or filter size, this is it. 86mm filter threads. Some mustache distortion. Alpa has a good reference for distortion graphs here: Distortion Charts
  • Sk35xl: Very good out to about a 10mm shift. Really a 36mm. Need a CF for all digital backs except the IQ4150, and I still use the CF even with that back. Smaller and lighter than the 40hr. No distortion vs the 40hr.
  • 40hr: Very good, slightly better than the sk35 with much less color cast. Can shift ~ 15mm. Really a 42mm. Slight mustache distortion.
  • Sk43xl: Very good if you can find one. On par with the 40hr, but more color cast. If you have the IQ4150 this is an excellent option. With any other back the 40hr is probably the better choice for most photographers.
Unfortunately, you have the two backs that have the most color cast of all the digital backs, so the Schneider lenses will be more of a challenge: You will probably need the center filter, and taking an LCC reference will be your standard operating procedure with the Schneiders. If you can put up with the Rodenstock's distortion, they will be easier to use and have a greater shift range than the wide Schneiders.

I didn't give you a very definitive answer. Probably the best all-around and most popular would be the 40-hr if it is wide enough with the 380.

Dave

Hi guys,

I'm getting the Cambo WRC-400 soon, but I haven't had the lens yet. TBH I don't know which one to start first
Budget-wise is limited, for now, this is the first time using this kind of camera so I'm kinda in the testing phase.
(No techcam user in my area so very hard to try these)
I'm using IQ380 & IQ1-100. I shoot interior & architecture occasionally. I'm familiar with the Canon TS 24mm focal length so I'm looking for the same length.
In the future, maybe I will get the IQ3100 to have ES - I think it's easier to deal with...

Thank you,
I use the Cambo Actus primarily with an Actar 24mm lens - see. There is also Actar 15mm, 19mm, 20mm, 35mm, 60mm, 80mm, 90mm, 105mm and 120mm
My next choice is the 19mm, which is a rehoused Nikkor PC-E 19mm, but is much more expensive than most other Actar lenses. Here is a link to the data sheet for this series - https://static.cambo.com/Files/Actar-2021.pdf.

You have ordered the WRC-400, which is part of the WRS tech cam system and accepts the same lens plates as the Cambo WDS/WRS and Phase One XT cameras. Presumably you are going to use this with your IQ3100. Some WRS lens plates include tilt swing.
With this back you will either want to buy with Copal shutter (most of these are now discontinued stock) or No shutter. Many of the newer lenses come with the Phase One X-shutter.
A good example of a lens like my 24mm is the WRA-2023 Lenspanel is dedicated to the use with Digital Backs with sensor activated electronic shutter and has a Rodenstock 5,6/23 HR Digaron-S lens with Aperture Only mounted in a helical focussing mount. This is the widest Cambo lens.
The 32mm WTSA-850 comes with tilt shift as well
Obviously you can adapt many lenses -- worth seeing if any of your existing lenses will adapt to WRS.

dchew

I apologize; I misread your two backs as IQ3-80 / IQ1-50, not IQ1-100. The 100mp sensor is a bit more Schneider-friendly than the 50mp. I had good success with the sk35 and the 3100, which is the same sensor. There are still shift limitations, but used with the CF, the LCC process handles that lens / sensor combination pretty well. The sk35 is the one lens that is very close to your 24mm equivalent on a 54x40-ish sensor. The sk35 is really 36.4mm. Using the diagonal for reference, it works out to 23.6mm equivalent.

Most would still prefer the 40hr, but I would not ignore the sk35 if 1) you are primarily doing architecture, and 2) you can find one with the CF...

Dave

huyu

thank you all your advice, especially Dave for your detailed note..yes my current backs are IQ380 (the one I love the color the most but I’m so worried working with it on a tech cam as of no live view) and a IQ1-100 the cheaper version of IQ3100..
So I might looking for the SK 35/5.6 XL, as it the same with my focal lenght and also affordable---
if anyone has and wanted to pass it on, leme know :D
I also need a copal 0, right ?

huyu

Another dilema, I can go a bit longer,
How about the SK 47 XL? The biggest image circle so getting more shift?

Alkibiades

Another dilema, I can go a bit longer,
How about the SK 47 XL? The biggest image circle so getting more shift?
If you want to use a 100 MP back you need a lens that can really make a advantage of so high resolution back, SK 47 xl is simply not as good and not as sharp as the newer schneider lenses: 43 xl and 60xl. The large image circle of the 47xl is a theoretical advantage , as the 35 xl the edges become pretty soft more you move out of the center. both 35 and 47 can be used, afcourse, but are simply not the lenses that can really shine on your 100 MP.
I would spend more money on the right lens, I am sure, you will not regret it.
When you go with 35xl or 47xl I cant imagine that it will really satisfy you. For 60MP back they are still fantastic, but not for 100MP.
Rodenstock 40 mm will be the best option for you if you like a wide angle with big movements, easy to use lens ( much easier on 100MP back than schneider 43xl), still not too expansive.
If you have a bit more money and you want more wide angle and still big movements so 32 HR is a must have on this back, there is no other option there.
If you want the still the highest quality, real wide angle, but you will be happy with 10 mm movements so 35HR will be the right lens for you. Same quality as 32 hr, same crazy resolution and sharpness but less distortion, but also less image circle ( but still more usefull movements than 35xl and way sharper lens aspecially at the corners).
Anyway to get the best from so fantastic back with these 100 MP you need the best lens, and the best have their price.

huyu

Im on the fence trading my IQ1-100 back to other thing. Only the IQ380 that I will keep.. is 80mp still a big trouble with older lenses?
can $1.5-2k budget get me something good enough withthe 380?

huyu

All the thing I bought are very hard to resell in my area (XF/backs/SK lenses..) so I really need to consider all the option 🤪
I think Im the only one who is thinking about using tech cam among all the photographer friends here in Vietnam

Paul Spinnler

Well you are in the right place here regarding tech cams – there's nothing higher quality, but, of course, professionals are focused on workflow, speed ...

We all understand you though!

JeffK

I think the 70mm Digaron-W is underrated. I've been using it to shift and get the results of the 40, but without the 40 look. Had one with my ALPA gear, and have the bare copal version too for my actus.

huyu

Thanks, Jeff
I might be there with a bunch of lenses in the end 🤪

I'm looking for
1. SK 35/5.6 APO digitar XL
2. Rodenstock 40mm f/4 HR Digaron-W Lens, with blue line on the front? -- I'm unsure if this is the one we're discussing. Not sure of the price yet..
3. A Copal 0?

Cheers 🍻