The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help Deciding purchasing 4x5 Film Camera as it compares to Medium Format Digital

JoelM

The only reason I would go back to a LF film sheet camera is if I wanted to continue with my Pt/Pd printing. I don't have the space or energy to do this again, but I do miss it dearly.
Joel

anwarp

Thank you for all your replies! I recently got hold of a cambo ultima45. My intention was to upgrade it to an actus xl. I‘ve never shot anything larger than a mamiya rz 67.
But now I’m intrigued. I plan to get a pack of forma pan and experiment a bit.
I like the idea of shooting only BW on the 4x5 with film and using the DB for colour.

abruzzi

I like the idea of shooting only BW on the 4x5 with film and using the DB for colour.
Thats kind of what I'm doing. I'm 99% film, and love it. The problem is that for color reversal/slide film is very limited. While gorgeous, it has, at best, 5 stops of range, which make a lot of photographs impossible. I could shoot C41 color negative film which has a lot more dynamic range, but a)there is no way I'll every setup a home color darkroom for printing so I have to scan, and my setup for scanning (a Sinar Norma and X parts fashioned into a copy stand and a Pentax K-1ii with a 100mm macro lens) creates really difficult color balancing issues (the orange mask). My color sensitivity is very low. I'm strongly red/green colorblind. So using a DB (on a sinar Norma, or a AS F-Classic) lets me take color without the orange issues that need a lot less adjusting, and use film for B&W photos.

(of course I could send out my C41 for dev and scanning, which I do do for 120 film, when I take a camera on vacation, but for sheet film I really like to dev the same day, so everything is processed at home.)

Another point--my $2000 used P1 P65+ is about the same cost as 70-80 sheets of C41 8x10.