The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

help in choosing a monitor: HP 30" or NEC 2690

charlesphoto

Yeah, I had to order the software separate from NEC which brings it right to the same price point as the Eizo. I guess more if you figure in the hood. Oh well...

I rarely travel with a laptop let alone a monitor so never even thought of that.

Anyway, I'll report back what I think of the NEC.

Dale Allyn

Congrats. Charles. I'm thinking about the same display. Let us know what you think once you get it set-up and dialed in.

Lisa

Here's a question to add little confusion (sorry :) ):

Have any of you found that using a wide-gamut display such as the NEC or Eizo as a multi-tasker, daily driver is a problem?

I have read several times that using a wide-gamut display for non-color critical work can be frustrating in that they don't render sRGB web pages correctly, etc. It has been recommended that one should process images for web on an sRGB display and those for print on the wide-gamut display. So, LJ, do you plan to address this? And Tim, how do you deal with it? Lisa? The sRGB modes of the NEC (and perhaps others) is said to be of little use.

My printing workstation is separate from my main office work, but I really prefer to do most of my editing at my main desk. This is also where I do my online reading, post images to my online accounts and sites, etc. I then move an image file to my print room to work and may make additional adjustments if needed. I'm told that I may not like the wide-gamut display for my primary use, web viewing, and processing images for web.

Thoughts?
I've noticed no issues with using the 2690 (as-is, in wide-gamut mode) for everything I do. I'm very happy with it for everything.

I edit and save photos in Adobe RGB for printing and archiving, then save a second copy after converting to sRGB for use on the web (using the command in PS that's something like Edit -> Convert Profile), and it just works.

Lisa

charlesphoto

Yeah, I talked to the owner of my lab about the gamut issue. He said there is none. Essentially the srgb file will just drop what it can't show but that's fine because srgb profiled browsers, printers etc couldn't deal with that extra color anyway.

Will find out soon enough....

Dale Allyn

This sounds good, folks. Thanks for the additional follow-up. It seems that the discussions are (once again) geared toward the theoretical and not the practical application.

Of course, I can see the differences when converting from ProPhotoRGB to sRGB, but I was reading of people complaining that they couldn't reliably process images in sRGB color space for web on the wide-gamut displays. I'm getting from you (and a few others) that this is nonsense and simply fuel for the academic discussions on the web.

charlesphoto

Dale,

This display is wonderful. I'm using it with the Spectraview software and an Optix XR calibrator I already owned. I have it dialed down to 90 nits and it matches up with my prints nicely. Real even across the screen, no dead pixels, all as it should be. I also got the add on hood (an extra $100!) which is real worth it and to my mind as nice if not better than the Eizo. The Eizo 22" runs about the same when all is said and done but I like the extra bit of space and I doubt anyone could tell the difference in quality between the two.

The only thing I regret is not having gotten this monitor years ago instead of another dumb camera body or lens which have probably been long sold.

Dale Allyn

Charles,

Thank you for the update. I think I'll be adding one of these (NEC) to my print station. I have read some great reports from people whose opinion I value. It seems that many owners of this display are happy, as are the Eizo owners.

Cheers,

Dale

Lars

Keep in mind that if you add another monitor and want it profiled differently, you will have to add another video card to your computer. This may or may not be true with the 2690 because you are adjusting the LUTs, but I don't know. But, yeah a separate small monitor for palettes, email, etc would be a nice way to go.
Ummm... I don't think that the above is generally true - even my old midrange GeForce 6600-based card can handle two monitors with different LUTs in the card (Windows, i1Match). I'd say do your research make sure your card can handle individually profiled monitors.