The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is there a quick release plate for the Leica S?

Duff photographer

Howdo,

As the title says, is there a decent quick release plate for the Leica S that is currently available in 2024, and in the EU. Preferably an Arca Swiss fit to avoid adding an additional adapter plate.

They have been made before, but these appear to be no longer available. An internet search has produced nothing other than some dubious jobs that don't have the anti-slip knobbly bit and appear to be designed as a ctach-all rather than anything specific for the Leica S.

Really Right Stuff used to provide an L-plate, but that's seemingly no longer available, and I'm just looking for a beefy QR plate, with all the screws and knobbly bits in the right place, rather than an L-plate as this will get in the way for my uses.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Ta.
Duff.

Duff photographer

This works - I used it on the X2D before dedicated L-brackets hit the market. It even has some pins to prevent rotation, but I'm not sure if they fit the S body. I have the old RRS bracket, and so use that.
Thanks Matt.

Just had a look at that and it seems they do the base plate on its own. Sadly, the index pins won't line up with the Leica's base plate indexing holes, so it will likely swing around like a swingy thing, like the rest have, or will do.

Manfrotto do a plate with both 1/4" and 3/8" screws in the same slot (adjustable distance between) which would really secure it, but it's not an Arca Swiss fit. I may have to poke about Chinese eBay again for something similar.

Oh! ...and the Arca Swiss rails need to run back to front (or front to back) rather than from side to side, due to my set-up.

Thanks again!
Duff.

Last edited:

dj may

Thanks Matt.

Just had a look at that and it seems they do the base plate on its own. Sadly, the index pins won't line up with the Leica's base plate indexing holes, so it will likely swing around like a swingy thing, like the rest have, or will do.

Manfrotto do a plate with both 1/4" and 3/8" screws in the same slot (adjustable distance between) which would really secure it, but it's not an Arca Swiss fit. I may have to poke about Chinese eBay again for something similar.

Thanks again!
Duff.
Take a look at hejnarphoto.com. There are several options, including assembling a horizontal rail with clamp and a vertical rail. I bought a bunch of his rails and clamps for multiple uses. Very good quality.

Duff photographer

Take a look at hejnarphoto.com. There are several options, including assembling a horizontal rail with clamp and a vertical rail. I bought a bunch of his rails and clamps for multiple uses. Very good quality.
Thanks Jesse.

Looks good, but haven't been able to find a 1/4" and 3/8" combination or with pin. Lots of 1/4" captive slot plus 1/4" tapped hole. Very close though. A 3/8" tapped hole would have done it.

Cheers,
Duff.

Duff photographer

UPDATE:

Erf! Well, that's typical. Spent the last couple of weeks (on and off) looking for something suitable. Just as I give up and post for assistance, I go and find something that might work. Although thanks to Jesse as a search for Hejnar bought the "alternatives" to light.

Seems Sunwayfoto do a combined 1/4" and 3/8" Arca Swiss plate. I knew about their large format plate, which would be a bit big for the Leica, but completely missed the smaller version.

sunwayfoto-dp-60r.jpg

I'll order it up and see how it goes. I'll report back on its suitability.

Thanks again to Matt and Jesse for their time and effort (y)😁

Cheers,
Duff.

JoelM

I just received the Arca Swiss Universal (the one that Matt linked above) and it fits great. It comes with different size pins and I chose the largest one and it fit perfectly in my S2. According to B&H questions, they said it also fits the S3.

Joel

Duff photographer

I just received the Arca Swiss Universal (the one that Matt linked above) and it fits great. It comes with different size pins and I chose the largest one and it fit perfectly in my S2. According to B&H questions, they said it also fits the S3.
Thanks for confirming what Matt wrote.

I haven't ordered up the that Sunwaythingy plate yet, so will have another look. The Arca has a bit more real estate to spread the pressure, so would be preferred.

Cheers,
Duff.