The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is there much of a Difference using Leica L mount vs Sigma L mount lense

rollsman44

I know the reputation of Leica and I know their lenses costs a lot more than Sigma lenses.
I was going to buy a SL and use Sigma Prime lenses or maybe even a zoom lens ( I would only need 35-70 range)
Any suggestions so I dont buy the SL and regret the buying the Sigma. I appreciate any experiences that you have with this Leica Sigma combo. Thank you

erudolph

You can rent both Leica and Sigma L-mount lenses for a few days from lensrentals.com and do a side by side comparison. Personally, I have a Sigma 14-24 L-mount and also the newer 150-600mm DG DN OS Sport. Both are good. Also, if you buy one and decide you don't like it, you can likely resell it fairly easily.

hotshoe

+1 , rent and decide for yourself if the Leica SL glass is worth the extra money -- only you can know. I have an assortment of Leica SL, Panasonic S Pro, and Sigma lenses in L-mount, all very good. The SL 50/2 and 75/2 are my favorite lenses.

FWIW, I compared my SL50 to the Panasonic S Pro 50/1.4 using my SL2 (and the 50/2 M cron, adapted), and the SL50 outperformed them both in terms of perceived sharpness (I do not have a test lab, so will leave it at that :)). Was it a night and day difference? No. The law of diminishing returns is definitely hard at work in terms of what you get for the extra cost of the Leica glass. Of course, sharpness is not everything, and I still overall prefer the SL glass in terms of optics. In terms of experience, the Panasonic S Pro line is my favorite -- manual aperture dial, clutch throw for switching between AF/MF, so suggest you check them out as well -- also great glass. Keep in mind, resale on Panasonic and Sigma glass is not near as good as Leica glass if you ever decide to sell or trade, so factor that in too. Never an easy decision when evaluating gear :)

Last edited: