The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is tilt/swing available on Universalis with Canon lenses on a GFX 100S for portraits?

rdeloe

That's not going to work with 645 medium format lenses because of the flange distance of those systems. For example, Pentax 645 has a flange distance of 70.87mm. Mamiya 645 is 63.3mm. Even with the deepest recessed board you can put on your 4x5, can you get the standards close enough together with that adapter to allow any kind of movement. Before you spend your money, take some measurements. Here's an example of what you need to know (based on a Toyo VX23D). I could just barely get Pentax 645 lenses on my VX23D, and that's with a flat camera board. The VX23D was designed for digital (slim standards, bag bellows); a typical 4x5 is just too bulky for something like Pentax 645.

Diagram.jpg

What might work is Mamiya RZ or RB lenses. These have a much longer flange distance (110mm for RB, and 105mm for RZ). The 50mm ULD lens for RZ is very good on GFX and has lots of room for movements. But it's not a fast lens. You'd also have to figure out how to mount it.

That's not going to work with 645 medium format lenses because of the flange distance of those systems. For example, Pentax 645 has a flange distance of 70.87mm. Mamiya 645 is 63.3mm. Even with the deepest recessed board you can put on your 4x5, can you get the standards close enough together with that adapter to allow any kind of movement. Before you spend your money, take some measurements. Here's an example of what you need to know (based on a Toyo VX23D). I could just barely get Pentax 645 lenses on my VX23D, and that's with a flat camera board. The VX23D was designed for digital (slim standards, bag bellows); a typical 4x5 is just too bulky for something like Pentax 645.

View attachment 203472

What might work is Mamiya RZ or RB lenses. These have a much longer flange distance (110mm for RB, and 105mm for RZ). The 50mm ULD lens for RZ is very good on GFX and has lots of room for movements. But it's not a fast lens. You'd also have to figure out how to mount it.

Yes, this all comes back to using full frame lenses that are not necessarily meant to cover the sensor of the GFX but do...

Rob, as far as you can tell, Canon/Nikon lenses of all focal lengths should be able to be attached to the Universalis and allow tilt/swing movements on the camera?

The only thing that then becomes an issue is the image circle of each particular lens? For example, I should be able to attach a Canon 24mm TS-E and have full tilt/swing movements on the camera, whereas attaching the Canon 50mm 1.2 might give me more issues..

Does that sound about right?

Ideally I am after a similar solution without having too spend thousands of dollars. Is it just not possible? Thanks :)

rdeloe

Arca sells a lens board to control Canon EF lenses. It exists because of the tilt shift lenses. I don't imagine there is much room to use movements because of the short flange distance. I have not used one.

You could build a lens board for Nikon lenses, but I'm not sure if you could reach infinity. You certainly wouldn't have much of any potential for movements.

I hate to spoil your enthusiasm, but putting full frame lenses on an f universalis for use with a GFX camera strikes me as a dead end.

Arca sells a lens board to control Canon EF lenses. It exists because of the tilt shift lenses. I don't imagine there is much room to use movements because of the short flange distance. I have not used one.

You could build a lens board for Nikon lenses, but I'm not sure if you could reach infinity. You certainly wouldn't have much of any potential for movements.

I hate to spoil your enthusiasm, but putting full frame lenses on an f universalis for use with a GFX camera strikes me as a dead end.
That is ok, somebody had to do it... :)

Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

J S H

Among Canon EOS mount lenses in the focal length range you mentioned, the best choices would be the 135 TSE, 90 TSE, 50 TSE and the 85mm 1.4L IS. Also Sigma makes a 105mm F1.4 that covers the GFX sensor quite well, so that would be an excellent choice and you wouldn't even need tilt to get razor thin DOF. These lenses will all cover the GFX sensor, with the 85 just barely being usable wide open. You don't need the Arca lens mount for EOS lenses, or the view camera either, for that matter, as long as you stick with the tilt shift lenses. You can use a dumb adaptor and buy a $50 EOS film body to set the aperture. Of course, you would be well advised to go ahead and get an electronic AF adapter to eliminate the extra step in setting the aperture and also picking up AF, which is a huge bonus.

You would likely need a view camera if you want to use the 85 1.4 or 105 1.4 with tilt. As far as I know, there are no EOS to GFX adapters with tilt functionality. I have an M Line 2 and it works fine with the 85 and 105 lenses (once again, the 85 is marginal wide open). Best solution would be an AF adapter and the Sigma 105mm. I believe Sigma also makes a 135mm F1.8, but I have not tried that lens. The 105 works really well on the GFX, so I quit looking after I found it. Razor thin DOF is only so useful and it's very tough to nail the focus, even in a studio environment.

Among Canon EOS mount lenses in the focal length range you mentioned, the best choices would be the 135 TSE, 90 TSE, 50 TSE and the 85mm 1.4L IS. Also Sigma makes a 105mm F1.4 that covers the GFX sensor quite well, so that would be an excellent choice and you wouldn't even need tilt to get razor thin DOF. These lenses will all cover the GFX sensor, with the 85 just barely being usable wide open. You don't need the Arca lens mount for EOS lenses, or the view camera either, for that matter, as long as you stick with the tilt shift lenses. You can use a dumb adaptor and buy a $50 EOS film body to set the aperture. Of course, you would be well advised to go ahead and get an electronic AF adapter to eliminate the extra step in setting the aperture and also picking up AF, which is a huge bonus.

You would likely need a view camera if you want to use the 85 1.4 or 105 1.4 with tilt. As far as I know, there are no EOS to GFX adapters with tilt functionality. I have an M Line 2 and it works fine with the 85 and 105 lenses (once again, the 85 is marginal wide open). Best solution would be an AF adapter and the Sigma 105mm. I believe Sigma also makes a 135mm F1.8, but I have not tried that lens. The 105 works really well on the GFX, so I quit looking after I found it. Razor thin DOF is only so useful and it's very tough to nail the focus, even in a studio environment.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

I have the 50mm TS-E and it is awesome! Just not fast enough for the look I am going for..

Did you have to custom mount a Canon Eos lens board for your M Line 2? I know they produce an expensive smart adapter but do they also make a dumb one?

J S H

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

I have the 50mm TS-E and it is awesome! Just not fast enough for the look I am going for..

Did you have to custom mount a Canon Eos lens board for your M Line 2? I know they produce an expensive smart adapter but do they also make a dumb one?

The 90 and 135 TS-E lenses are even better than the 50. I have the Arca EOS mount lens board, as it was really the only game in town when I bought it (at least to control the aperture) and probably still is. Not cheap though. You can have one custom made by Bill at Pro Camera and I did that for P645 mount...it was significantly cheaper than the Arca lens board, but also has less functionality. The same would apply to a dumb EOS mount lens board. So the Arca solution isn't a horrible deal, all things considered.