The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Aptus 5 II advice

Steve Hendrix

Hi Steve one last question.
My digital back works tethered but after few minutes of inactivity it stops working and the fan too.
Looks like it times out.
This back fell and we fix it but now i am wondering if i can do more.
We attached the display wire that was gone and changed the battery but i didn't look into the firewire.
I am using an old iMac with a firewire port and UNIbrain repeater and the original Leaf cable L shape.
If you have any idea please let me know, this back is not worth to have it repair by Phase, too expensive.
Thank you
Massimo

The fan not working does potentially point toward an internal board issue potentially, rather than (or in addition to) an external power issue. Hard to say, and I am unfortunately not proficient in board level assessments.

Make sure the Mac itself is not going into an energy saving mode, with some backs this can cause a disconnect.

Steve Hendrix/CI

photomassimo

The fan not working does potentially point toward an internal board issue potentially, rather than (or in addition to) an external power issue. Hard to say, and I am unfortunately not proficient in board level assessments.

Make sure the Mac itself is not going into an energy saving mode, with some backs this can cause a disconnect.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Thank you Steve, i'll check the firewire, another stupid question, could it be that the Leaf Cable is damage? I had it for over 10 yrs
Massimo

Steve Hendrix

Thank you Steve, i'll check the firewire, another stupid question, could it be that the Leaf Cable is damage? I had it for over 10 yrs
Massimo

Oh, sorry, I was commenting assuming you had checked out all the typical external things that you could do to narrow down culprits.

Tried:

- different cable
- different computer
- different camera

etc. etc.

So if you haven't done that yet, by all means do. The easiest and fastest way to diagnose, eliminate.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Attachments

photomassimo

Oh, sorry, I was commenting assuming you had checked out all the typical external things that you could do to narrow down culprits.

Tried:

- different cable
- different computer
- different camera

etc. etc.

So if you haven't done that yet, by all means do. The easiest and fastest way to diagnose, eliminate.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Got it, so if it still don't work is either the firewire socket or the board
Thank you
Massimo

photomassimo

Tried:

- different cable
- different computer
- different camera

etc. etc.

Steve Hendrix/CI
I just tried with the battery, works totally fine so i am assuming is not an electronic board problem?
Thank you Steve
Massimo

photomassimo

Tried:

- different cable
- different computer
- different camera

etc. etc.

Steve Hendrix/CI
I also found out that the firewire connector/socket on the camera is bent. Not sure if this could be the problem.

Attachments

photomassimo

Tried:

- different cable
- different computer
- different camera

etc. etc.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Also i just noticed that the firewire socket on the back is bent. Not sure if this could be a problem.
Thank you
Massimo

Attachments