The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Credo 40 vs. 60 with symmetrical wide angles

gebseng

Hey everyone,

For the last 7 years, I've been using the Leaf Credo (33x44mm CCD) with the Schneider Kreuznach Apo-Digitar 5.6/28mm XL. An almost perfect lens, but (due to its symmetrical design) with lots of hard-to correct (via LLC) magenta cast when shifted more than 10mm.

Since I wont't be able to afford the wide angle friendly IQ4 150 back for the foreseeable future (but hey, they started with € 35.000, and I'm seeing offers for 20.000 with buyback of my Credo 40 now), I'm thinking of getting a used Leaf Credo 60 or Phase One IQ 160 or 260 (with the 40x54 sensor) and using the SK Apo-digitar 5.6/35mm XL instead, which I already own.

Do you think that would improve the magenta cast situation, or would it mostly stay the same?

Thanks, geb

Attachments

Last edited:

Alkibiades

yes, all Dalsa 60 MP backs works perfect with the schneider 28 xl. But dont use 80 MP or 100 MP backs, to color cast will be too strong.

kinglang

No,I can tell you with certainty that on the back of a 60 million CCD such as IQ160, if it moves more than 10mm, even if the magenta color cast has been done by LCC, the loss of the blue color channel cannot be corrected.

Alkibiades

wrong, the 60 MP Dalsa has the same pixeldestiny as the P45 but is bigger. both backs has no problems with 28xl becouse of their design.
the color cast can be remove fully. this was written by some guys years ago, with examples. this is not my opinon these are facts.

gebseng

Thanks Kinglan, this is really helpful!

Since the LLC shows hard vignetting at the upper corners, I estimate this to be a 18mm or 19mm shift. (90mm image circle, 40x54mm sensor). Actually, the amount of magenta shift does not frighten me too much, compared to what I'm used to from the SK 28mm and the Credo 40 44x33mm sensor. So I guess these sensors must be different after all? Taking into consideration that, with the bigger sensor, I would mostly be using the SK 35mm instead of the 28mm as my "standard" lens for architecture, it would probably be even less severe.

thanks again,

Gebhard
Screenshot 2021-02-21 at 10.46.35.png

Last edited:

Alkibiades

Thanks Kinglan, this is really helpful!

Since the LLC shows hard vignetting at the upper corners, I estimate this to be a 18mm or 19mm shift. (90mm image circle, 40x54mm sensor). Actually, the amount of magenta shift does not frighten me too much, compared to what I'm used to from the SK 28mm and the Credo 40 44x33mm sensor. So I guess these sensors must be different after all? Taking into consideration that, with the bigger sensor, I would mostly be using the SK 35mm instead of the 28mm as my "standard" lens for architecture, it would probably be even less severe.

thanks again,

Gebhard
View attachment 182198
indeed this shot is fully confusing, it is clearry out of the image circle of that lens- the vigniting is clear to see. You cant use a less out of their possibilities and say this dont work!
28 xl as the 35 xl has 90 mm imege circle.
on my 35xl 17 mm movements are possible on the big sensor . similar should be possible with all lenses with 90 mm image circle, more or little less.
but the corner sharpness decrease afcource, so if you get 12 mm movements with sharp corners you should be very happy- more is simply not possible with very wide lenses.
anyway the combination 28xl and 60 MP backs is well known and used so we dont need new alternative truth.

usm

Does the Schneider Kreuznach Apo-Digitar 5.6/28mm XL work with the CFVii50c – I think it is more or less the same sensor as the Credo 40?

rollsman44

I am trying to decide on a DB ( IQ160 or Credo 60) Skin tones are important. ISO up to 400 Little to NO noise. I dont want a CMOS sensor
Using it on Phase one XF. Thank you

buildbot

I am trying to decide on a DB ( IQ160 or Credo 60) Skin tones are important. ISO up to 400 Little to NO noise. I dont want a CMOS sensor
ISO 400 on a CCD without noise? The IQ160 kinda can do that with sensor plus but I would not say it was noise free. CCD and low noise don’t match super well… in theory older sinar backs are the best at this high iso (need to test to be sure) but are still pretty noisy.

I personally would not recommend the credo 60 as it lacks sensor plus and certain other functions compared to the iq160. I’ve used both.

MartinN

I think even Credos will be the next to be announced End of life by Phase, so I would be cautious with Credos. I will never get any support for my Aptuses.

Ray Harrison

Don’t you already have an IQ160? If so, there’s no specific need for a Credo 60, in my mind. Both of those backs generally like to be at base ISO and its likely that noise is going to be a factor at ISO 400, at least in my experience. The IQ has sensor plus and focus mask, if those are important to you.