The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Q2 monochrom

scho

My old monochrome converted Sony A7r died a couple of months ago and rather than investing in another conversion I decided to go with the new Leica Q2 Monochrom. Thanks to Jono's article and beautiful images I couldn't resist. This stealthy LBC arrived today and battery is still charging. I have both Leica FOTOS nd LR on my iPad Pro so will try that combo initially for importing and preliminary processing.

scho

Just a followup on the import workflow mentioned in my previous post. It worked very well but would be rather slow for a big batch of images. Turn on camera and iPad Pro, boot up Leica Fotos click connect to camera and quickly get a preview of the images on your sd card. Tap each image you want to select for download and then wait for DNG files to load into your gallery. In the gallery view tap to select the images you want to move into Lightroom and tap the Lightroom import button to quickly copy all into Lightroom mobile. I also have iPad Lightroom mobile synced with my desktop Mac mini so they also pop up in Lightroom on the Mini. Another added bonus in this workflow is the option to have the image files geotagged for mapping location. Except for speed limitation and camera battery consumption the workflow is quite slick and I was pleasantly surprised that there were no wireless glitches.

spb

Staff member
Alien Software's Exposure X6, handles Q2M files and is way better on my Mac than Affinity and about the same as Luminar AI. I have no Adobe product installed except for the O/S installed CameraRaw 13.1 which allows all apps to open Q2M files.

Scrub all of that I have gone back to using C1 V21 and am rather pleased with all the changes. so no adobe products at all.

Last edited:

scho

This camera can handle shadow boosting easily without worry of generating noise for artifacts. You could try raising the shadow values in this image.

spb

Staff member
Oh what a pity I had not noticed that the AF lock wasn't fully on, so the focus is not as good as it could have been! First mistake, it could have been wonderful in that light this afternoon.L1000228.jpg

scho

The sun finally returned here today for a few hours so we went for a walk in Stewart Park at the south end of Cayuga Lake. Trails were not plowed, except for a short stretch along the lake front. I just wandered around the old boathouse taking snaps with the Q2M + B+W orange filter. This building was originally used by the Wharton brothers for their silent film industry before moving to Hollywood. We still enjoy watching summer evening screenings here of some the old films made in Ithaca (eg. "Perils of Pauline" series etc.). The city owns the property and the only recent occupants of the building have been the Cascadilla Boat club, but at various periods in the past there was an apartment on the second floor for the park caretaker, a ballroom, basketball court, and bowling alley. Several fund raisers generated funds for renovations., but never has there been any focused restoration attempt for sustained periods of time.

Last edited:

spb

Staff member
The sun finally returned here today for a few hours so we went for a walk in Stewart Park at the south end of Cayuga Lake. Trails were not plowed, except for a short stretch along the lake front. I just wandered around the old boathouse taking snaps with the Q2M + B+W orange filter. This building was originally used by the Wharton brothers for their silent film industry before moving to Hollywood. We still enjoy watching summer evening screenings here of some the old films made in Ithaca (eg. "Perils of Pauline" series etc.). The city owns the property and the only recent occupants of the building have been the Cascadilla Boat club, but at various periods in the past there was an apartment on the second floor for the park caretaker, a ballroom, basketball court, and bowling alley. Several fund raisers generated funds for renovations., but never has there been any focused restoration attempt for sustained periods of time.

Interesting series Carl. Orange filters are good to have.