The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Levi Strauss uses AI models now

richardman

Note that I was referring to the market for "commercial" arts. Those are the ones first in danger. There will always be someone who will want to buy "physical", "hand-made", "analog" art.

No one knows where we will end up, but it's going to bump rides for some people.

Pieter 12

Note that I was referring to the market for "commercial" arts. Those are the ones first in danger. There will always be someone who will want to buy "physical", "hand-made", "analog" art.

No one knows where we will end up, but it's going to bump rides for some people.
Remember when Bill Gates/Microsoft thought everyone was going to have monitors on their walls instead of physical art? They even came up with the interactive Surface "coffee table" with images you could flip through and move around and enlarge, sort of as a replacement for photo albums. "It will change the world" was one review at the time. I think Gates' purchase of the Bettman Archives and later the founding of Corbis was to be a source for some of the art to be displayed on those monitors. Well, the public didn't bite. They want the large monitors to stream shows and sports, not to display art. I think the only time I've seen such was at the now-defunct Annenberg Center for Photography in Los Angeles, and I really didn't like it as much as the prints on the wall. Oh, and hospitals. Cheering up the patients in the waiting rooms. And the little digital photo frames at grandma's house.

richardman

Not sure what that has to do with what I wrote. The commercial arts/photos will be made by AI, and of course can be and will be printed. Just because Bill Gates was wrong, and he was wrong more often than just that one time, has absolutely nothing to do with the current topic.

daz7

CGI did the same to manual models and glass painting in movies.
Although CGI looks great and is cheaper, it only looks great for a couple of years and then looks dated bordering ridiculous.
If we watch now CGI created 10 years ago it looks completely unnatural while actual non-CGI models age much better.
I doubt than anyone would like to pay for an artwork looking good for 3 years and shamefully bad after that.

So, yes, AI will replace a lot of jobs but for the high end work and real art, not a quick kitschy supermarket style art, it will not change much.

Reactions: spb

Pieter 12

Not sure what that has to do with what I wrote. The commercial arts/photos will be made by AI, and of course can be and will be printed. Just because Bill Gates was wrong, and he was wrong more often than just that one time, has absolutely nothing to do with the current topic.
Gates thought digital representations would replace physical art in the home and institutions--that is why I brought it up. I was also expressing my concern that it would not permeate culture, but it seems very probable it will. Although I hope AI generated art will not replace man-made art, photography was once considered a threat to painting but it has become a semi-respectable art form unto itself.and maybe changed the direction of representational painting to a certain extent. But when serious artists start using AI, it is bound to become an artform unto itself beyond just creating commercial scenes that could have been photographed or the fantastic sci-fi images that it is being used for right now. Imagine AI in the hands of Damien Hurst, Andy Warhol or Jeff Koons (not that I like their particular art, just that they are/were willing to step outside the boundaries of tradition).

richardman

... But when serious artists start using AI, it is bound to become an artform unto itself beyond just creating commercial scenes that could have been photographed or the fantastic sci-fi images that it is being used for right now. Imagine AI in the hands of Damien Hurst, Andy Warhol or Jeff Koons (not that I like their particular art, just that they are/were willing to step outside the boundaries of tradition).
I'm not talking artists that are currently making hundreds of thousands, or millions of dollars. I'm talking about artists that make $35K doing headshots, or doing gig work for Levi etc.

timn420

The acceleration of AI (at a much faster pace then the internet of 1995), as well as computation technology in phones, will be interesting indeed. Noone really knows anything at this point, but as someone who has been in commercial photography for 10 years, its definitely a disrupter that's going to cause some contemplation about what a career in photography will look like in 5 years from now.

Pieter 12

I'm not talking artists that are currently making hundreds of thousands, or millions of dollars. I'm talking about artists that make $35K doing headshots, or doing gig work for Levi etc.
Head shot, portrait and wedding/event photographers shouldn't be jeopardized much. Maybe using AI to enhance the location or create a new background, but somebody's got to make the shot of the people involved. AI can't invent that. (Is AI good enough to take a mediocre snap and alter it to fit another body? Maybe soon if not now.)

I would have thought that food, product and catalog photography would be off-limits, but it seems that there are companies willing to go for that, although technically it is not the actual clothes that are pictured. Car photographers lost a lot of business to CGI. Maybe if the product represented is generated by the same CAD/CAM model as the actual thing it is considered OK by the watchdogs. The public sure doesn't give a damn.

Given the state of journalism today, even photojournalism is at risk. Look at the images of a former president being hauled off to jail that didn't actually happen.

Between AI images and writing, you will soon have to question anything you see or read on a screen.

Paul Spinnler

Well you can create profiles of people and then AI will generate endless settings for them. Of course if the idea is to remember a certain life event, then the photo capture is about something else. But for online personas on LinkedIn or other social media you might soon not need any photoshoots anymore.

Or say a CV picture which is common in Europe.

richardman

Head shot, portrait and wedding/event photographers shouldn't be jeopardized much. ...
You are unfortunately incorrect. There are already a number of "headshots" companies that you send in some photos, and they generate "perfect" headshots for you, for very low cost.

Pieter 12

You are unfortunately incorrect. There are already a number of "headshots" companies that you send in some photos, and they generate "perfect" headshots for you, for very low cost.
Someone had to take the shot. What you are talking about is extensive retouching, something that has been done for decades. A bad angle or lighting is difficult to correct for, even with AI and have it still look like the subject.

steveash

Car photographers lost a lot of business to CGI. Maybe if the product represented is generated by the same CAD/CAM model as the actual thing it is considered OK by the watchdogs. The public sure doesn't give a damn.
Automotive photography is my main industry. CGI has had a massive impact but not in a negative way. Not only is there still lots of photography going on but photographers are heavily involved in the CGI. When working on this type of project I will shoot a location in the same way as I would with the car in the scene (difficult as I have to imagine and understand how the light will fall and the car sit within the frame). I also have to record a 360 degree 32bit hdri dome to help light the model. I even shoot textures to be used on the model and do processing work on the final image.

I’m sure ai will shake things up again very soon. It may well mean I spend even more time in front of a computer and less behind a camera but hopefully the industry will continue to need the knowledge, understanding and creative abilities of photographers and visual artists.

richardman

Someone had to take the shot. What you are talking about is extensive retouching, something that has been done for decades. A bad angle or lighting is difficult to correct for, even with AI and have it still look like the subject.
ha ha, I'm done. Clearly you have strong strong opinions and you have to be right.

PSS

nope, any image remotely resembling your face will do, AI will take of lighting, options of outfits, hair color,....considering that most people want headshots to look like ideal versions of what they think they look like, its pretty perfect. I heard of one service charging 17$ for 100 shots with options of outfits (business, casual,....) and of course you can choose any of these and get variations.
this will likely not replace higher end portraits but for 99% of headshots (business cards, Linkedin,....) I think it's over. people don't want to sit for the anyway and if I can get all these options for no money, sitting at home, right now, and man! I look good! people might go for the extra package and get those shots of themselves looking amazing in all these places they have never been, including maybe the corner office:)

Pieter 12

nope, any image remotely resembling your face will do, AI will take of lighting, options of outfits, hair color,....considering that most people want headshots to look like ideal versions of what they think they look like, its pretty perfect. I heard of one service charging 17$ for 100 shots with options of outfits (business, casual,....) and of course you can choose any of these and get variations.
this will likely not replace higher end portraits but for 99% of headshots (business cards, Linkedin,....) I think it's over. people don't want to sit for the anyway and if I can get all these options for no money, sitting at home, right now, and man! I look good! people might go for the extra package and get those shots of themselves looking amazing in all these places they have never been, including maybe the corner office:)
We're doomed. So now I can make an ID with fake pictures. ID photos are usually made by an uninterested employee with a fixed, standard set-up (think drivers license or passport photos). The majority of those who generally employ photographers to make head shots are actors and models (although AI might soon eliminate those jobs) and the casting director or photographer will be bound to be upset and disappointed when the model/actor shows up and doesn't look quite like the perfect AI image that was submitted for the job.

Paul Spinnler

Automotive photography is my main industry. CGI has had a massive impact but not in a negative way. Not only is there still lots of photography going on but photographers are heavily involved in the CGI. When working on this type of project I will shoot a location in the same way as I would with the car in the scene (difficult as I have to imagine and understand how the light will fall and the car sit within the frame). I also have to record a 360 degree 32bit hdri dome to help light the model. I even shoot textures to be used on the model and do processing work on the final image.

I’m sure ai will shake things up again very soon. It may well mean I spend even more time in front of a computer and less behind a camera but hopefully the industry will continue to need the knowledge, understanding and creative abilities of photographers and visual artists.
This is why it may not be mandatory anymore to have the latest 60k P1 setup

Paul Spinnler

Levi is paddling back a bit based on the public backlash. The reality is though that this technology, given how convincing it is, will advance in the fashion industry.

Imagine a DTC brand that is bootstrapped - they would ofc save model / photographer costs...

Lines will be blurred and unclear what is real and what not ...