The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Little review of Apo Digitar 5,6/100 mm

Alkibiades

I got a lot of questions in the last time about this lens, aspecially about the image quality and image circle.
So I made this little review with some test pics to show how the lens perform.
I hope this will be informative for somebody who looks for a nice lens in this range.

Alkibiades

The Apo Digitar 5,6/100 mm belong to the Apo Digitar line with Apo Dirgitar 4/80 mm and 4,5/90 mm but is also a little bit different compared to these lenses.

The Apo Digitar 5,6/100 has a 100 mm image circle already wide open at 5,6.

Also the sharpness and chromatic aboration is perfect already at 5,6, whereas the 80 and 90 mm are need to be stopped down to Aperture 8 to acheave similar image quality.

First I compare the Apo Digitar 100 mm to the sharpest and much more expensive lens in this range: Rodenstock Digaron HR 4/100 mm.

I can not see any diffence in the sharpness between them both when used wide open.

The center of both are extramly sharp with Fuji GFX100S.

The corners of the Apo Digitar are even at 5,6 surprising good, better than the corners of the Digaron at 4.

Digaron need indeed to be stoped to 5,6 to achieve similar corner quality.
So the Apo Digitar is even as sharp as the Digaron lens that costs 4 times more.

Attachments

Alkibiades

I tested than how the Apo Digitar 5,6/100 mm perform when at large movements.

I use first 25 mm and than 35 mm rise. Both used with aperture 11, for such big movements I would always use this aperture to get maximus quality at the extreme corners.

Schneider promise for this lens 100 mm image circle of very high image quality and as you see there is no visible degradation at 25 mm shift- the fine detail are extramly sharp all over the picture.

As you can see even at 35 mm movements the extrem corners are perfect sharp, my camera is limited to 35 mm movements but more would be possible.

I do not made any correction in this test, as you see no CC is needed but natural fall of could be corrected at 35 mm movements.

I must also mention that with Fuji GFX100S you will get the black border below in the picture becouse the inner part of the camera body of the Fuji that dont allows bigger movents than 22 mm without getting this black border.

The physical image circle of this lens is even bigger than 100 mm, so even bigger movements are possible if you would use a digital back.

The Fuji 100S has the highest pixes density, the same as the Sony A7R IV and Phase one IQ4 150,

that means that this Apo Digitar will perform well on all digital backs and Digital cameras.

Attachments

vvince

Thanks for the Work and the sharing.
Are there several versions of this lens?
Is the lens you have the Schneider APO DIGITAR MC 5,6 100 mm N-53° ?

Cheers, thanks
vvince

Alkibiades

Thanks for the Work and the sharing.
Are there several versions of this lens?
Is the lens you have the Schneider APO DIGITAR MC 5,6 100 mm N-53° ?

Cheers, thanks
vvince
yes, i have the latest version: APO DIGITAR MC 5,6 100 mm N-53° .
the earlier version of this lens has the old style Schneider labeling with the large letters. the lensdesign is the same, but Schneider improve the coutings and the mounting.

vvince

Thanks Alkibiades.

So this one would be the latest version, the one you have, is it?

124645F9-5D35-4937-862A-DF7807B4DE4E.jpeg

1C577E48-2E13-4901-96D8-02824C754D0D.jpeg

From what I understood, you prefer the Digitar 100mm over the 90mm, am I right?

Did you also try the lens in closeup photography, like table top or even macro?

Cheers
Vvince

rdeloe

Thanks Alkibiades.

View attachment 188290

View attachment 188291

Cheers
Vvince
That one is a special case. Not only is it in the aperture-only iris mount (rather than the more common Copal shutter), but also it's in a Schneider-Kreuznach helicoid that is meant to be screwed to a lens board.

One thing you have to watch out for with these is you might not be able to get it off the helicoid if you want to mount it directly to a lens board. I've had some in hand that were glued down solidly. Getting it out of the helicoid would have involved some risky measures that definitely would have left scars.

vvince

Thanks for pointing this out, Rob. I hadn’t thought that the lens could have been glued to the mount. That’s a very relevant information.
Cheers
Vvince

usm

That one is a special case. Not only is it in the aperture-only iris mount (rather than the more common Copal shutter), but also it's in a Schneider-Kreuznach helicoid that is meant to be screwed to a lens board.

One thing you have to watch out for with these is you might not be able to get it off the helicoid if you want to mount it directly to a lens board. I've had some in hand that were glued down solidly. Getting it out of the helicoid would have involved some risky measures that definitely would have left scars.
Is this a case when it should be converted to a Arca R mount?

anyone

It depends whether they use the helical of the lens or not. If they use the helicoid , then it should not be a problem (for example I heard from people doing a Cambo conversion that Cambo is using the helicoid, reducing the price of the conversion if lens and helicoid are provided).

Alkibiades

To acheave the best calibration the glasselements are fixed with glue in the aperture mount but not the aperture mount on the helical mount.
For conversion to arca only the helical mount must be changed to arca helical mount.
the schneider helical mount can be moved so it cant be glued.
the schneider mont can be used indeed by cambo- so you will save about 400 euro or when mounted out by arca it can be sold separatly. it can be used with all schneider lenses.

Alkibiades

Thanks Alkibiades.

View attachment 188290

View attachment 188291

Cheers
Vvince
both: yes.
this is the latest version on the photos.
I sold my 90 mm after the 100 mm perform better.
It was important for me that the 100 mm allows much larger movements and much better corner performance as the 90 mm.
the 100 mm has simply much bigger image circle.
Yes, i tested the lens also in close distance and its working extremly well as the whole apo digitar line that is based on Apo Componon HM lensdesign that was known for superior close up quality.

rdeloe

My lens in that style of mount was glued to the helicoid. That may not have been Schneider's work. But it happens.

One other thing to think about regarding that iris mount is that the shutter blades have an unusual shape that doesn't produce the nicest out of focus highlights. If you only shoot it stopped down, you won't notice. And indeed you may prefer that shape.

Whisp3r

both: yes.
this is the latest version on the photos.
I sold my 90 mm after the 100 mm perform better.
It was important for me that the 100 mm allows much larger movements and much better corner performance as the 90 mm.
the 100 mm has simply much bigger image circle.
Yes, i tested the lens also in close distance and its working extremly well as the whole apo digitar line that is based on Apo Componon HM lensdesign that was known for superior close up quality.
Performing a bit of expert necromancy on this thread, on this fine but rainy Sunday afternoon. Alkibiades, in a specific Schneider lens brochure which I plucked from Dave Chew's website, there is a mention of an apo-digitar 100mm 60° Asph with an image circle of 120mm at f/11. Does that lens even exist? I mean, after searching for a couple of hours or so I did not find a single photo of that lens, and next to zero references. It's only mentioned in the Schneider technical brochure, next to the other new SK lenses (28-43-60-120 asph). An urban legend, perhaps? I'm sure you will have the answer ;-)

Paul Spinnler

The 100 ASPH was never produced. It was planned, but SK closed shop before releasing it.

Greiner in Germany, who runs he SK servicing business, confirmed this.

That's why the 120 ASPH is so legendary. It was the one of the last lenses to slip through before they closed down the tech cam lens business.

In a way, the 120 ASPH is the blue print of what could've been with a 100mm variant ... :(

Whisp3r

The 100 ASPH was never produced. It was planned, but SK closed shop before releasing it.

Greiner in Germany, who runs he SK servicing business, confirmed this.

That's why the 120 ASPH is so legendary. It was the one of the last lenses to slip through before they closed down the tech cam lens business.

In a way, the 120 ASPH is the blue print of what could've been with a 100mm variant ... :(

That explains everything. So pretty much an urban legend. Somewhere in a vault, many metres below the Schneider HQ, sits a single 100mm asph, in the dark, biding its time.

But I guess the 'regular' 100mm N-53° should be more than capable as well, time to go shopping!