The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Long lens option for Fuji GFX

John Leathwick

I've recently been enjoying using several Mamiya RZ lenses on my GFX via an Arca-Swiss F-Universalis. The longest lens that I had been using on this setup was an Apo 210mm, which has proven to be a fantastic performer, so much so that I bought a Fotodiox adapter to allow me to use it directly as a non-tilt-shift lens. Even better, I then discovered that it played very happily with my Fuji GF1.4x extender, giving results difficult to tell apart from my GF250 with the extender.

I then discovered a 2010-era brochure for the Mamiya RZ Apo series lenses that included MTF curves for all the lenses, these suggesting that the Apo 350mm was probably the best performer of their Apo series. This offered the tantalizing possibility of replacing the Canon FD 500 L that has been my best long lens option for my GFX, despite its vignetting and lousy corner sharpness. I found a mint Apo 350mm in a Japanese EBay store for the princely sum of US$370, and it arrived a couple of weeks ago. I finally had an opportunity to try it out at a local tern roost today, and am very happy with the results. It's difficult to find any significant difference in sharpness between images shot at 350mm or with the extender, there is no sign of any vignetting, and sharpness extends right into the corners. The Canon 'great white' is now for sale 'on behalf of' at the local camera store. The example image below is about a 90% crop of full frame.

For those not wanting to wait for Fuji's promised 500mm tele, I would highly recommend this as an option, particularly if you already have the GF1.4x extender.

John

White-fronted tern I.jpg

algrove

I have often adapted my 645 Mamiya lenses on the GFX with the simple Kipon adapter. The 500/5.6 is a stunner, but large. I have an APO 300, but used to use that on my Phase XF body. It has not been used for a few years now since it needs to talk to the body. But all my other Mamiya lenses work just fine including the fisheye ULD. I have your 210 and a zoom 105-210 as well as a 300/5.6 which is a super nice resolving lens and it can be adapted to Leica M and SL cameras with simple adapters. I only use the 300/5.6 these days. If anyone wants one to try they are not expensive.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I have often adapted my 645 Mamiya lenses on the GFX with the simple Kipon adapter. The 500/5.6 is a stunner, but large. I have an APO 300, but used to use that on my Phase XF body. It has not been used for a few years now since it needs to talk to the body. But all my other Mamiya lenses work just fine including the fisheye ULD. I have your 210 and a zoom 105-210 as well as a 300/5.6 which is a super nice resolving lens and it can be adapted to Leica M and SL cameras with simple adapters. I only use the 300/5.6 these days. If anyone wants one to try they are not expensive.
Another vote for the Mamiya 645 300/5.6 ULD. Light and sharp. (This on an X2D)

Matt

PS. While not a Superachromat, or even an APO, the ULD controls CA well enough that the specular highlights from the water are quite clean. There are a lot of old lenses out there. There aren't many that are so well corrected.

Last edited:

lookbook

Another vote for the Mamiya 645 300/5.6. Light and sharp. (This on an X2D)

Matt
... i think it is very good that the one on the right gives the hint that you should pass him on the right or on the left and not over him!!!
that might have happened to him all the time!

Paul Spinnler

The Pentax 6x7 long lenses are supposedly the secret tip in terms of price / performance. You can double stitch an IQ4 within the IC of a Pentax 6x7 lens – this opens up great stuff. You should get a rock solid adapter though. The best I've seen is the one for Alpa – it is incredibly well made and super strong.