The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for some super telephoto help

buildbot

Did anyone mention this ?
" Zeiss Tele-Apotessar 500mm F/8 HFT for Mamiya 645 "

There is one on sale @ the evilbay right now ...
(not related to Ebay nor the seller, located in South Korea, apparently)

CU,
Rafael
It really ticks me off they changed an ultra rare rollei pq lens into a semi functional mamiya 645 mount. Just use the v to M645 adapter…

rdeloe

It really ticks me off they changed an ultra rare rollei pq lens into a semi functional mamiya 645 mount. Just use the v to M645 adapter…
In fairness to the photographer who modified the lens, there may not have been any adapters when the person's need existed. Fotodiox hasn't been around that long. Perhaps I'm wrong and there always was one, but I wasn't able to find an example after a brief search.

My perspective on these things is different than a lot of people. I'm not sentimental, and I'm not a collector. Lenses are tools. I have "destroyed" many lenses to make them work for me, which I view as their one job. ;) Mind you, the ones I've transformed into useful tools for me are not sought after by collectors, who will of course feel different about a rare lens being modified.

rdeloe

Significantly less $$ ouch and a lot less weight than some other options is the SMC Pentax-FA 645 400mm F5.6 ED [IF]

Reviewers say it plays nice with the 1.4 teleconverter, which would get you close to your 600mm goal.

Greg Haag

Significantly less $$ ouch and a lot less weight than some other options is the SMC Pentax-FA 645 400mm F5.6 ED [IF]

Reviewers say it plays nice with the 1.4 teleconverter, which would get you close to your 600mm goal.
Rob, I am really interested in the Pentax 645 600mm that you sent the link on. If I were ordering something right now and if one were available, I think this is the most tempting. The weight is not a huge issue for how I would use it, but I am concerned if vibrations from wind would make it really hard to get sharp images.

algrove

Rob, I am really interested in the Pentax 645 600mm that you sent the link on. If I were ordering something right now and if one were available, I think this is the most tempting. The weight is not a huge issue for how I would use it, but I am concerned if vibrations from wind would make it really hard to get sharp images.
Greg
Unless I missed it how do you plan on using a long telephoto lens on your 100S? So outdoors, but other than that no way to get closer so as to use the GF 250+1.4x?

rdeloe

There's someone at DPReview who uses one of these things on a GFX 50R and has a setup that makes him happy. If you're interested, let me know and I'll dig out his contact details.

Greg Haag

Greg
Unless I missed it how do you plan on using a long telephoto lens on your 100S? So outdoors, but other than that no way to get closer so as to use the GF 250+1.4x?
Lou,
Yes, currently the longest I can go natively is the 250 w 1.4x. I am wanting to to use this for Lunar, certain sand dune shots and other shots where I would really like to get more compression. It seems the best option may be adapting the Pentax 645 600mm, but I have never shot with it to really know. I also have the H to GFX adapter and the H1.7x that I could pair with something. The longest I can currently go with this combination is my HC210 w 1.7x and it is not that sharp, but my 210 would have to be one of the very early editions. Any ideas welcome!
Thanks,
Greg

Greg Haag

There's someone at DPReview who uses one of these things on a GFX 50R and has a setup that makes him happy. If you're interested, let me know and I'll dig out his contact details.
Thank you so much Rob, I am really considering going in that direction.

buildbot

In fairness to the photographer who modified the lens, there may not have been any adapters when the person's need existed. Fotodiox hasn't been around that long. Perhaps I'm wrong and there always was one, but I wasn't able to find an example after a brief search.

My perspective on these things is different than a lot of people. I'm not sentimental, and I'm not a collector. Lenses are tools. I have "destroyed" many lenses to make them work for me, which I view as their one job. ;) Mind you, the ones I've transformed into useful tools for me are not sought after by collectors, who will of course feel different about a rare lens being modified.
Not to get to far off topic, but I think the 1st party Hasselblad V to Mamiya 645 adapter has existed for a long time? The 500mm APO Rollei lens is I believe is the same as the Hasselblad version, I could be wrong though comparing the diagrams:

The Hasselblad version is only ~900USD used : https://www.keh.com/shop/hasselblad...ns-for-hasselblad-500-series-v-system-93.html

From rolleiflex.us: "Zeiss did make a very rare 500mm Tele-APO-tessar version with improved optics, but rumor is that there are only about 100 copies or less made." :/

Not even collectors, just anyone who wanted a good long lens for the 6000/HY6 series. I'm not sure why anyone would do this, the Rollei lens has to have been more expensive than the V version at any point....Even if they had it already, they could have made wayyyy more money selling it and getting the V version.

DNN

I never had a problem with wind and the GFX100-Pentax600(with 1.4x). However, if you face severe conditions, consider what I use with my 12x20 Canham (bellows are worse in wind! especially with the 1100mm Fine Art below out nearly 4.2 feet) - a large golf umbrella held close to the camera/lens, so the wind is blocked and shunted around the lens/camera. Another idea is to support the lens on the tripod and use a second arm to support the GFX (something like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/313987525074 ). The lens weight is on the center of the tripod, and the camera is supported by the triangle of the lens/body&one leg of the tripod& the arm.
Don
PS make sure you don't do the Mary Poppins thing if it is very windy! Never attach an umbrella to the tripod with available clamps.

rdeloe

Not to get to far off topic, but I think the 1st party Hasselblad V to Mamiya 645 adapter has existed for a long time? The 500mm APO Rollei lens is I believe is the same as the Hasselblad version, I could be wrong though comparing the diagrams:

The Hasselblad version is only ~900USD used : https://www.keh.com/shop/hasselblad...ns-for-hasselblad-500-series-v-system-93.html

From rolleiflex.us: "Zeiss did make a very rare 500mm Tele-APO-tessar version with improved optics, but rumor is that there are only about 100 copies or less made." :/

Not even collectors, just anyone who wanted a good long lens for the 6000/HY6 series. I'm not sure why anyone would do this, the Rollei lens has to have been more expensive than the V version at any point....Even if they had it already, they could have made wayyyy more money selling it and getting the V version.
I wondered too why someone would mod a rare lens when cheaper versions are around. One thought I had was that it might have been damaged? Although at that price point repair and sale might still have been cheaper. Who knows.

On the adapters, I'll have to take your word for it. Hasselblad is not my world.

rdeloe

Interestingly, I just found an unmodified one for sale... It's still over 6x more expensive than the V version at $900. Whew.

algrove

Lou,
Yes, currently the longest I can go natively is the 250 w 1.4x. I am wanting to to use this for Lunar, certain sand dune shots and other shots where I would really like to get more compression. It seems the best option may be adapting the Pentax 645 600mm, but I have never shot with it to really know. I also have the H to GFX adapter and the H1.7x that I could pair with something. The longest I can currently go with this combination is my HC210 w 1.7x and it is not that sharp, but my 210 would have to be one of the very early editions. Any ideas welcome!
Thanks,
Greg
Get the best tripod available for this type of shooting and the cube which you now own. I use the RRS 33 something and the legs are very large. If it is for Death Valley then yes the winds can be a challenge. I believe I sent you my DV Dunes book. Many shots with the Alpa and 150 with others using the 50R at the time with 100-200 + 1,4x sometimes and perhaps they 250. Honestly I do not remember how much I used the 250 there at this moment. I do have a RRS rail I have used for the Mamiya 500, but it is pretty well balance on the cube.

Greg Haag

Get the best tripod available for this type of shooting and the cube which you now own. I use the RRS 33 something and the legs are very large. If it is for Death Valley then yes the winds can be a challenge. I believe I sent you my DV Dunes book. Many shots with the Alpa and 150 with others using the 50R at the time with 100-200 + 1,4x sometimes and perhaps they 250. Honestly I do not remember how much I used the 250 there at this moment. I do have a RRS rail I have used for the Mamiya 500, but it is pretty well balance on the cube.
Thank you Lou! I need to get the RRS rail, hopefully they have those available. I have the RRS TFC 34, hopefully that will work.

jng

I can't speak to the Rollei version, but the Hasselblad Zeiss 500 Tele-Apo Tessar is definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed (based on the published MTF charts - included toward the bottom of the link that @buildbot provided), certainly not in the same league as the 350 Tele Superachromat + APO 1.4XE (not even close). One thing about working with these high-resolution medium format sensors is that they are less than forgiving. YMMV, of course.

John

John

Greg Haag

Lunar photography is going to need a longer focal length than 600mm. This is the entire frame of a micro thirds camera (half the area of a 35mm sensor) taken with a telescope with a focal length of 1,270mm. It is also taken on a tracking mount to compensate for the rotation of the Earth.

Beautiful shot! Maybe I am not accurately describing the goal when I say lunar, I am hoping to get the compression to make the moon a more significant part of certain landscapes. I am certainly open to suggestions!
Thanks!