The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking to Shoot Film again with Medium Format camera

Nokton48

Scan-161104-0001 by Nokton48, on Flickr

6.5x9cm Plaubel Makina III with 100mm F4.2 Orthometar, which is Plaubel's sharp commercial lens. Notice the precision framing, I used to do a lot of Architectural Photography for Architects. The precision of viewing acuity especially at the extreme edges, makes it easy. 120 Foma 100 in a Makina Film Back, and processed in Microdol-X Legacy dev. Scanned on my Epson 4490.

Last edited:

Nokton48

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

This all fits in the small Zone VI White Bag, looks like a picnic cooler. Restored Plaubel Peco Junior body with Jim Galvin Glenn Evans Graflex Roll Back modded to Peco Junior. Made to nicely hold Singer Graflex 120/220 Roll Backs. Two RH8 2.25x3.25, two RH10 6x7cm, one 220 RH20. Three Fujinon GX680 lenses modded to Plaubel Junior Boards. From the left, the 125mm F5.6 GX680, then the 50mm F5.6 GX680, then on the right, the 180mm F5.6 GX680. All three lenses work perfectly with the standard length Plaubel Peco Jr Rail. Film loaded is Ilford PanF+, Ilford Delta 100, Shanghai 220 EI 100, Maco ORT25, Ilford FP4+, Ilford HP5+. So this I'll be taking out this spring, on an olde Star-D tripod. The tripod has a shoulder strap for traveling, and the bag is HEAVY but has everything I need plus room for odds and ends. Apertures on the shutters fully correctly marked, and verified through direct measurement of the lens front irises. All now perfect ready for fully testing. Eight 120 test rolls have yielded perfect frames, some outside tests and some studio stuff. Will post photos soon. These lenses are sharp enough for digital medium format. Hmmmmmm

Hassasin

Back in the day ( 1970's 1995 ) I was using Hassy 500C/M and did so many weddings with it. Love the camera and IQ and reliability.
Now I am OLDER and Not as steady as I was back then hand holding it.
I am semi retired and looking to stay Busy ( which I do) and try Film again.
My concerns are: 1- Cost of film Now and processing and Scanning Neg. to Digital file.
2- What does the Near Future hold for supply of film and how much more will costs go up
I like shooting Digital ( Have a Hassy X1D2) BUT want to see how the portraits look using film.
Any suggestions which way to go with this? What System and lens choice for portraits( I shoot waist up and Head and shoulder shots) with just 1 lens now.
MY other concern is I use OCF a lot for my portraits.
Thank you in advance for recommendations.
I read about this : Not Cheap and Not sure how it compares to other MF Film cameras today

Hasselblad 202FA + Zeiss Planar F 2.8/80 T * + E12 film back
If it were me all over again, I'd start in film with a Pentax 645. If AF needed then it would have to be the 645N (or better - 645NII), but the manual focus 645 is a joy to use (and focus), lenses are top class, and all of it can be had for not all that much. Good place to start and see where film takes you (again).

MF scanning is good with a flatbed, like one of the Epson's V700 to 850, or even the older 4890/4990, as they give very good results. Anything worthy of better quality can always be done by a dedicated scanning service.

Last edited: