The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro copying of old postcards

algrove

My wife just opened a package her mother left her and to our surprise this package includes about 150-200 postcards mainly from France, Europe and Africa. Some are street photography, others are portraits and even some show WWI dog fights or the War aftermath while others show traditional life in Bretonne circa 1910-1918.

Before we let these go I want to copy them 1:1 with my XT5 or even the M11, but my question is mainly for Fuji owners. Anyone own that new 30 Macro lens? How would it perform for this purpose?

All these postcards are about 8x12 cm with some larger. I am amazed at how good some of these images are on a postcard! Many have inscriptions printed on them or on the back to explain the location or meaning of the image and in these days the French stamp would be put on the front. Most were 5 Francs and some were 10 francs.

gurtch

I can't answer your question regarding the macro lens, but I have done similar copying work of treasured family stuff, and may I suggest a flat bed photo scanner? No issues with getting the camera exactly parallel to the post cards, multi choices of scan resolution, and you will have trouble telling the copy from the original. Scan at higher resolution and make copies larger than the original. Also, you can scan multiple cards at one time. Now days nice scanners from Epson, and others, are very reasonable.
Good luck, I would love to see some of your results, especially WWII airplane dog fight images.
Dave in NJ

Rand47

I have the new 30 macro and I think it would work very well for this purpose. Very flat field, and it will do 1:1 very easily on that size object. Are these all a uniform size? Or a range of sizes? The reason I ask is that I could easily do a quick and dirty test of “filling the frame” with a document / card of that size to give you the rough working distance from lens to target. At 30 mm you’re in pretty close and I don’t know if it would make lighting them properly an issue or not. I have an X-H2 so the sensor processor are the same. I could post an example.

Dave in NJ’s recommendation is also excellent and if you have a scanner might be easier, faster, and provide plenty-good resolution for post cards.

Rand

Last edited:

algrove

I can't answer your question regarding the macro lens, but I have done similar copying work of treasured family stuff, and may I suggest a flat bed photo scanner? No issues with getting the camera exactly parallel to the post cards, multi choices of scan resolution, and you will have trouble telling the copy from the original. Scan at higher resolution and make copies larger than the original. Also, you can scan multiple cards at one time. Now days nice scanners from Epson, and others, are very reasonable.
Good luck, I would love to see some of your results, especially WWII airplane dog fight images.
Dave in NJ
Thanks Dave. The dog fight is rare since its during WWI. Bi-plane stuff.

Reactions: spb

algrove

I have the new 30 macro and I think it would work very well for this purpose. Very flat field, and it will do 1:1 very easily on that size object. Are these all a uniform size? Or a range of sizes? The reason I ask is that I could easily do a quick and dirty test of “filling the frame” with a document / card of that size to give you the rough working distance from lens to target. At 30 mm you’re in pretty close and I don’t know if it would make lighting them properly an issue or not. I have an X-H2 so the sensor processor are the same. I could post an example.

Dave in NJ’s recommendation is also excellent and if you have a scanner might be easier, faster, and provide plenty-good resolution for post cards.

Rand
Most are of the same size. Yes, lens to subject distance could be an issue. Perhaps the longer macro would be a better choice. I want a 90mm FF equiv and to me 60 is it although my 56 is close enough, but not a macro. Just G.A.S. I guess. The most common size is 6"x4". Thanks.

algrove

OK, so I decided to use my M11 to copy these postcards along with a cheap 85mm Macro lens. I will post these under Leica.

spb

Staff member
I used a X-T3 and a couple of lens 50mm and 90mm using a portable product photography box. Loads of very small B & w originals some of the results Copied photos etc

My wife just opened a package her mother left her and to our surprise this package includes about 150-200 postcards mainly from France, Europe and Africa. Some are street photography, others are portraits and even some show WWI dog fights or the War aftermath while others show traditional life in Bretonne circa 1910-1918.

Before we let these go I want to copy them 1:1 with my XT5 or even the M11, but my question is mainly for Fuji owners. Anyone own that new 30 Macro lens? How would it perform for this purpose?

All these postcards are about 8x12 cm with some larger
cheap postcards net. I am amazed at how good some of these images are on a postcard! Many have inscriptions printed on them or on the back to explain the location or meaning of the image and in these days the French stamp would be put on the front. Most were 5 Francs and some were 10 francs.

I don't own the Fuji 30mm Macro lens, so I can't provide a personal opinion on its performance for copying postcards. However, based on reviews and specifications, it seems well-suited for detailed close-up shots, which should be ideal for replicating the intricate images and inscriptions on the postcards you described. I recommend researching further or reaching out to Fuji owners who have used this lens for similar purposes to get more specific feedback. Good luck with your preservation project!