The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Making a custom Alpa-Hasselblad V film adapter. Can you take some measurements for me please?

jodad

Hi All
I’m having someone make me a Hasselblad V back to Alpa adapter with a function that “pins” the back to allow it to advance (just as happens when the back is attached to a Hasselblad body).

I need a few measurements of the regular alpa to Hasselblad v adapter but I don’t have one. Is anyone that owns An alpaHasselblad V adapter able totake the following measurements for me please? A ruler is good enough for now but if you have a calliper, even better. And in mm preferably. I’ve numbered the required measurements 5,6,7 & 8 (there are others but these are based on the camera body which I was able to provide 😬D8F9A021-7425-46DC-B718-5E8C6537B683.jpeg38D6249A-D857-4BE2-8B4F-898F4EC4B794.jpeg

cjb

IMO what you are asking for may be entering a slippery slope ethically. Alpa recently won a case against a Chinese manufacturer that made counterfeit Alpa parts

Some photographers may argue it is not wrong, but to photographers that support Alpa and their R&D expenses by purchasing their products may feel otherwise. Personally I never like it when people feel they can copy or take others intellectual or artistic property to save money or try to manufacture. But that is just me, a working photographer that has had to chase after those that feel they could steal my work and use it for their own personal gain.

Last edited:

buildbot

IMO they don’t sound like they are planning on selling this design, plus it’s added functionality + reverse engineering, doesn’t seem that unethical to me. Counterfeiting is pretty different.

IMO what you are asking for may be entering a slippery slope ethically. Alpa recently won a case against a Chinese manufacturer that made counterfeit Alpa parts

Some photographers may argue it is not wrong, but to some of us that support Alpa and their R&D expenses by purchasing their products might feel different.

Just buy a cheap knockoff and have it customized if you choose to not support Alpa.

f8orbust

A bit of a grey area I suspect - does your design add enough to differentiate it significantly from the original, and thus not infringe any patent (if such a patent exists). My guess is, no it probably doesn't.

What you could do, is buy this one from eBay, and then when you receive it file a claim with eBay/PayPal for counterfeit goods. You get a cheap mount that you can machine and your money back, and the real counterfeiters get hit where it hurts most, in the wallet.

tcdeveau

A bit of a grey area I suspect - does your design add enough to differentiate it significantly from the original, and thus not infringe any patent (if such a patent exists). My guess is, no it probably doesn't.

What you could do, is buy this one from eBay, and then when you receive it file a claim with eBay/PayPal for counterfeit goods. You get a cheap mount that you can machine and your money back, and the real counterfeiters get hit where it hurts most, in the wallet.
Or OP could buy one from Alpa and modify it., thereby supporting the company. Or even ask Alpa for their blessing . .

Whatever OP decides to do I don't think there's too much of an issue unless op plans to make a bunch and sell them/offer to sell them....if it's just one for personal use not such a big deal in my book.

darr

The OP sent me a PM request for the measurements which I will not supply. He said the custom camera manufacturer mentioned in another post regarding this exact modification was requesting the measurements because that is who is making it for him. I don’t know if this is for a personal build once a custom camera manufacturer gets involved. 🤷‍♀️

jodad

Guys... I just want to use modern Hassy film backs (than need “pinning” ) on my alpa so, I asked a maker if he could make me a back. Just for me to use myself. How is that infringing on Alpa’s IP? We needed the measurements to see if it was possible to put a pinning mechanism in something that would fit within the space where the back or back adapter would go on the camera. We aren’t trying to copy Alpa’s products like the Chinese did but rather make a custom piece just for me and wanted measurements of the actual Hassy back adapter to (if it will actually work as mentioned above) make something that will fit right and be light tight... 🤦‍♂️

I’ve seen pictures of people with strange self made or commissioned things stuck on their alpas. Is this IP infringement? I don’t think so. My request was for the same. I just wanted to save $500 or whatever on buying a back adapter just to measure it on the off chance that it’s dimensions mean we could make something that would fit the camera with a pinning mechanism. Whether it’s feasible or not, that $500 adapter would be useless to me because if it’s doable, I wouldn’t need it and if it’s not doable I’ll forget the 6x6 idea because I don’t want to use old (and hard for me to find) backs that need to be overhauled.

tcdeveau

Guys... I just want to use modern Hassy film backs (than need “pinning” ) on my alpa so, I asked a maker if he could make me a back. Just for me to use myself. How is that infringing on Alpa’s IP?
OP, just so you are aware and understand the concerns of others, the activity you are proposing could constitute patent infringement in the US under US law (codified under 35 USC 271 if you want to look it up) if Alpa has a patent in the US....even if your use is personal. Not sure about copyright or trademark but the activity you are proposing could create issues under copyright and/or trademark as well. Cant speak to the law in other countries though.