The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 645 AFD - Viewfinder Magnification Solution

stevenenglund

Do any Mamiya AFD shooters out there use a non-standard magnifier? I know that Mamiya made a FD402 but it's nearly impossible to buy. I see one for sale online at this moment for $290 in New York.

I purchased a 2.5x17.5 monocular but I don't enjoy shooting with it, nor do I think it really helps my process.

Hopefully some of you have tested some products that fit the Mamiya AFD system and can help shed some light on this!

Focusrite

I'd be curious to know what other options are available as well, or at least experiences with the FD402. There was an online blog post I read a few years ago of which also sent me down the monocular route. After wasting a few dollars on one of the cheaper ones that barely seemed to magnify anything I ended up finding a Zeiss 3x monocular for a very good price, but use it sparingly as it is a feat of coordination to hold it centered on the viewfinder while racking the focusing ring and actually being able to see what you're focusing on. A little holder for it could probably be 3D printed to make its use a bit less of a chore, but the Mamiya loupe is probably your best bet. Perhaps a cheaper one will pop up locally at some point?

I tried to find the article again but so far am not able to.