The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Magazine - November 2020.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
We start the November edition of the Medium Format Magazine with one of the most anticipated interviews of the year.

There is no question that Edward Burtynsky is one of the most successful contemporary photographers. Not only are his photographs masterfully crafted but they are also purposeful and current in the artistic and thematical realm. It is hard to find a photographer who has produced a body of work to elevate and dignify the craft of photography so much as Edward Burtynsky. Edward’s prints can be found on the walls of the most respected public and private galleries. His tremendous commercial success is based on the genius of a man who approaches photography with the finesse of a true artist and brilliant entrepreneur. Edward was kind enough to share with us his beginnings, photographic philosophy and even his business approach – the side of photography which is not discussed enough. In short, prepare yourself for a tour-de-force of photographic thought and ideas accompanied by powerful photography.

On the following pages, you will find an insightful and beautifully written article, “The Making of My Iceland Book” by one of the most accomplished landscape photographers in the world – Hans Strand. Hans writes, “the images in my new Iceland book, “ISLAND" (Frederking & Thaler Verlag, Germany, 2018) comprise photographs taken from ground level and from the air. I have crisscrossed the interior of the country for thousands of kilometres in 4x4 Jeeps to get off the beaten track and avoid the most well-known vistas. As a result, this book is not a collection of the most famous natural attractions in Iceland. Rather, it is a personal interpretation of my own experiences in the country.” Indeed, the imagery presented in the book and in this article are awe-inspiring – something that doesn’t often happen in the crowded and repetitive world of landscape photography. Hans Strand, once again, shows his understanding, visual sensitivity and mastery of landmass. Be prepared to be wowed!

Next, Roman Loranc takes us to his home country, Poland. He writes, “I believe it is good to explore your roots to discover who you are. After living in the US for some time I decided to visit Eastern Europe and my home country, Poland, for an extended photographic trip. Knowing more about where I came from means understanding myself better, which leads to better photography.” In this signature adventurous narrative, Roman takes us on an incredible visual journey through his native Poland. On his trip he visits one of the most remarkable places in the world – a natural wonder, the Białowieża Forest. Reading the story and looking at the images captured by Roman elevates our senses and inspires us to take our own journey home, wherever it is.

We stay with a forest theme in the next article. Bruce Barnbaum tells the story behind one of his best known photographs, “Fallen Sequoias.” With the visual eloquence and scholarly precision Bruce is known for, he takes us into Sequoia National Park on the western slopes of California’s Sierra Nevada mountains for a one-of-a-kind photographic session.

Next, you will find a new and exciting series, “Essential Elements” by Janet Dwyer. In her new series she will look “at the elements of a photograph that elevate it from ordinary to extraordinary. Aspects such as choice of subject and composition, tonal range, colour, detail, texture, lighting and perspective are familiar techniques used by photographers. Used with intention, these tools give a creative edge to enhancing photographic work.” I am confident you will greatly enjoy this new series.

In THE GALLERY we feature a very special artist this month. We present the work of Kimiko Yoshida, the Japanese-born artist who lives and works in France. Kimiko’s self-portrait series is one of the most personal and evocative bodies of work we have ever presented on these pages. Kimiko describes her work as a ceremony of disappearance.” She says, "Art is above all else the experience of transformation. Transformation is, it seems to me, the ultimate value of my work. Art for me has become a space of shifting metamorphosis." The physical and emotional engagement or rather transformation behind each portrait is unprecedented. Prepare yourself for an unusual visual experience.

Michael Gordon’s article, “The Sum of Influence” follows with a highly personal and retrospective piece about Michael’s path to seeing and finding his ways to where he is as a photographer and a human being. Michael writes, “Author Austin Kleon (Steal Like an Artist) states, ‘You are, in fact, a mashup of what you choose to let into your life. You are the sum of your influences.’ Although I am a life-long naturalist and my works arise entirely from natural objects in wild settings, my consumption of photography spans a much broader gamut: from architecture to still life to war and street photography.” This is an inspiring read and great photography!

As you flip pages, you will find Zac Henderson’s article, “The Role of the Modern Technical Camera.” Zac writes, “There aren’t many camera types more interesting than the technical camera. Although much has changed in the transition from film to digital, the methodical workflow and extraordinary image quality they produce remains. The modern technical camera is thrust into an improbable position, carrying the flag of classic processes and design while sitting at the forefront of cutting-edge imaging technology. Even the technical camera’s appearance alludes to an elegant blend of old and new. With so many camera options in the marketplace, medium format and otherwise, it is logical to question the role of the modern technical camera and ask what is in store for this strange and uncommon breed of capture device, and why it is still relevant.” I am confident you will find Zac’s article insightful and highly educational.

Whether you shoot medium, full frame or APS-C format, you will find the Medium Format Magazine a must-read for any serious photographer. It contains simply the world’s best photography and editorials.

To join and gain immediate access to the current issue, all past editions and MF Exclusives, please go to www.mediumformat.com. Use the MF15 coupon for a 15% discount (yearly subscription only). Every subscription supports the GetDPI forum!

Cover_on-background.jpg

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Great issue and great interview with Burtynsky. Helped me to better appreciate his work.
Thank you Tim. This interview took us a few weeks to arrange, record, transcribe and edit. Three members of our team worked on it but it was so worth it. We really appreciate your support Tim.