The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium format objects

cunim

Everyday objects can be seen in the context of what they do, or they are just seen for what they are. For example, I like to photograph calligraphic pens with the product of their use. I suppose this is a diletante's perspective on product photography. Any other interests out there?
IQ180, apo macro sironar 120, quote is from Alice. Pen is a 1920's Waterman's 52V.

52v.jpg

Last edited:

dave.gt

Everyday objects can be seen in the context of what they do, or they are just seen for what they are. For example, I like to photograph calligraphic pens with the product of their use. I suppose this is diletante's perspective on product photography. Any other interests out there?
IQ180, apo macro sironar 120, quote is from Alice. Pen is a 1920's Waterman's 52V.

View attachment 203793
If only I could get my Pelikan to write like that…. 😬

docholliday

If only I could get my Pelikan to write like that…. 😬
Just send your pen in for a custom ground nib. Oblique medium is a good start.

I collect Montblancs and have all kinds of custom nibs ground for them. Left italic oblique, right oblique. I mainly write with broad or double broad, but once you get used to an oblique, it's hard to go back. There's always flex nibs too that vary depending on the pressure what the tine width/shape is.

However, as a product photographer, I'm not one for shooting pens with their product. Reminds me too much of people who do ink testing.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Everyday objects can be seen in the context of what they do, or they are just seen for what they are. For example, I like to photograph calligraphic pens with the product of their use. I suppose this is diletante's perspective on product photography. Any other interests out there?

View attachment 203793
Very , very nice . I love that .
Unfortunately , the older you get , you will find that your writing also gets older .

cunim

Turns out we have some fountain pen people. Who knew? Last pen pic for a while, I promise. These Waterman's are all about 100 years old and all have calligraphic nibs. Guess the grouping makes it a still life.
IQ180, can't remember the lens.

pens.jpg

cunim

@ASTeamwork, let's try to keep it running for a bit.

This one is technically imperfect, but sort of a pun. The pocket knife serving as king is from French master maker Charly Bennica. This is the French defense. All the pieces in this set (including the queen) are male, sadly. Well, except for the birds. Can never tell with those.

fredef.jpg

Last edited:

dave.gt

Wow! Always wanted a unique beautiful chess set! I have never seen one like this with or without a knife!😇

Gerd

Linguine with tomatoes

Primarily it is about patterns, secondarily about details or vice versa - depending on the viewing distance.

Continuous lines cut up an image. If you place enough lines next to each other, areas are created. Areas divide up an image. Lines and areas create patterns, both by themselves and collectively. The tomato breaks through these patterns, both in form and in colour.

Seen in detail, the patterns fade into the background and all that remains are the wonderful structures of the linguine through the modulation of the light.

...and of course I like (as always) very graphic images.

Linguine-Tomate-2048.jpg

Greetings Gerd