The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium format objects

vjbelle

Small objects from everyday life I like to look at in detail. I look for shapes, colors, materials and interesting angles in connection with light. Very often I then see details in a completely different context.

In factual photography, objects must be described photographically factual well. In product photography there is a little more freedom, in particular I can include other things in the picture that support the main character. In still life, practically everything is allowed, I do not even have to depict the actual object in its entirety to put it in my picture in a big way. So then happened with a small coffee cup that I found on the street.

Real steam or smoke from liquids is very problematic because it contains water and "always" looks dirty when backlit. Therefore, it is a good idea to create it differently.

This kind of smoke knows everyone unconsciously. It arises exactly at the moment when a candle goes out and a plume rises from the wick. So it must not burn but only glow. In the past, we simply took some tobacco for something like that. But that was a start-stop-pity action as I had to find out. Tobacco seems to have additives today (just like cigarettes) so that it goes out if you don't pull on it. I then experimented for a while with different materials - the best were my paper tear-off rolls from the gastro area. With it a small bead twisted and brought to glow, went in the direction of my ideas.

Due to the position of the cup, the cup itself achieves a certain dynamic and what is even more important - the smoke can rise in the right place. In the cup itself you need a small chimney (eg a small twisted aluminum paper roll) which is then attached with adhesive paste in the cup.

...and of course I like (as always) very graphic images.

Gruß Gerd

View attachment 206890
For sure a breath of fresh air as most images here are of the landscape variety - mine included! I have always wanted to take images like this but never learned the skills to do so. It certainly isn't too late but my learning capabilities are getting rusty. There is a fair amount of this type of imagery at FM where there are a lot of very talented photographers.

Great Image......

Victor B.

cunim

This is a classic pocket knife from Charly Bennica. It is an "art" knife, made to be beautiful as opposed to being something you would use to clean fish. This example is an interesting photographic exercise in that it presents both highly polished and rough-textured (meteorite) metal surfaces. Everything is specular, but in different ways.
IQ4, 138 HR, f16 (single plane)

The usual method to capture something like this is with diffuse light from all directions. That is efficient within a commercial work flow, and yields a consistent look that clients value. However, it does create a certain sameness in the images. So, having the dilettante's luxury of time, I do it differently. I use continuous light and mirrors which vary in hardness. These let the shiny metal present a highly variable set of reflections from black to near clipped. It takes time to get the dark and bright shiny bits where you want them, is very inefficient, and does not show the object better than diffuse lighting- probably worse. But it is intriguing to me.

BTW, I seem to be dominating this thread. Certainly not my intention. Please post.

bennica2.jpg

Last edited:

cunim

@MGrayson you got it - a McArthur portable microscope. This particular one was part of a kit supplied to US submarines in the cold war era. The entire kit fit into a small pelican case (about 8 x 10 x 4"). It included some additional attachments (clip on illuminator etc.) and slide evaluation tools. Everything the conscientious sub medic needs.

I find the shape interesting and will do a series of shots of it.

cunim

A lot of finagling with lights and grip can go into a simple image. If I succeed, the result is natural and visually interesting without any obvious photographic trickery. The thing is just there, and that can mean using the imperfections that are so contrary to the commercial goals of product photography.

chantoubw.jpg

cunim

Another shot of Charly Bennica's meteorite folder. I was embarrassed to count five continuous lights, three mirrors and three strobes all working to create the effect. Took a lot of time to get it right. I just know that a good pro would have shown me I only needed two lights and a half hour to do the same thing. Sigh.
IQ4, 138HR

atoll5.jpg

Paul Spinnler

Cunim – are you on assignment with the knives (ie for a knife company) or is this your interest? Although not familiar with the knife world, some of them look really ace design-wise and as photographed by you with this lighting setup...!

cunim

Paul, I tend to make small collections of things because I like photographing them. i, also, am not part of the knife world. So, not an assigned job and just because I find specular surfaces interesting. Thank you for the comment.

cunim

Rockstead is a small Japanese company making fairly exotic pocket knives. This Ryu model incorporates echoes of traditional Japanese sword making. For example, the "Hon-zukuri" edge is a convex shape (no bevel) that is used on some swords. The edge geometry is ground onto a mirror finished steel of exceptional hardness. It all sounds good until you realise that sharpening such a thing is a skill given to very few. In fact, while the knife will hold its edge for a very long time, it then has to back to Japan for sharpening. Not very practical, but practicality is not why you would buy a knife like this. Just like some cameras.

I once read of a Japanese sword which fell from a bench onto a stone. The sword was undamaged, but the stone was cut. After that, the owner named the sword "stone cutting katana".
IQ4, 138HR

stonecut.jpg

cunim

Please excuse the miserable calligraphy. In the BTS thread I showed a lighting setup I am playing with for this type of shot. The process is evolving and I just keep reshooting until boredom sets in.

The quote is from the Red Queen and reflects today's political atmosphere. The stripes are in honor of the Cheshire cat.
This Waterman's #7 ebonite pen (c. 1935) is something of a grail item for collectors because the "Pink" nib is an expressive writer. It is that, but is by no means my favorite.
IQ4, 138HR

redq.jpg

cunim

The opponent. If I keep posing this owl he's gonna want SAG rates soon.
Experimenting. IQ4, 138 HR There's a black mist filter in front of the 138. I suppose that's sacrilege. Interesting effect on dark edges.

opponent.jpg