The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF In-Body Image Stabilization at Last!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I agree it's a good feature to have.

But I've been hand holding medium format for 10 years. We recently published an article showing a hand hold test with the new XF IQ4 150mp at 1/60th with a 45mm lens.

Would I love another stop or two from IBIS? Absolutely.

But if you gave me the choice between another clean stop of ISO or a stop of IBIS I wouldn't hesitate to pick the ISO. IBIS doesn't help unless you're in the gray zone between hand-holdable and not hand-holdable, nor does it help with moving subjects.

DB5

IBIS is awesome. This is a major deal clincher and it's hard to believe that Fuji has made such a break through - I really thought it would be a few more years, if ever, that we saw such a large sensor being stabilised.

Fuji has really delivered a knock out blow. It will be an incredible useful feature for handholding and will make it a difficult decision to go back to a static sensor now.

Yeah, you can hand hold MF, I've been doing it for years but this just makes our job easier, faster, more efficient and less things to worry about.

tcdeveau

I wonder if they could implement pixel shift as well as they are already moving the sensor?
If I were P1, I would’ve made Fuji agree not to implement pixel shift in the capture one support agreement, but that’s a good question

PeterA

I agree it's a good feature to have.

But I've been hand holding medium format for 10 years. We recently published an article showing a hand hold test with the new XF IQ4 150mp at 1/60th with a 45mm lens.

Would I love another stop or two from IBIS? Absolutely.

But if you gave me the choice between another clean stop of ISO or a stop of IBIS I wouldn't hesitate to pick the ISO. IBIS doesn't help unless you're in the gray zone between hand-holdable and not hand-holdable, nor does it help with moving subjects.
hahahah Doug - of course IBIS is less irrelevant for ARAT photography ( you know another rock another tree stuff) but will be very useful for snaps and you know studio work hand held with lighting and stuff - you can keep your stop of ISO - Fuji is all over the MF manufacturers like ugly on ape - The CEO of Phase One had to climb the Fuji stage at Photokina and eat humble pie in front of the whole world when he commted ritualised sepuku and signed the surrender treaty in front of a telivised to the world event and openned up Capture One to the unthinkable - another MF manufcaturer...game over.:cry:

Last edited:

Chapel

I think it's a good decision by Phase to open up C1 to other medium format cameras. I wish they would do it for my Pentax. Adobe does more in sales in 4 days than Phase One does in a year. To me it's a step in the right direction. Now they have a chance to get a piece of the pie on every Fuji purchase as opposed to nothing plus it kind of puts the squeeze on their biggest competitor Hasselblad.
Greg

hcubell

Han anyone looked closely at the Mock-up of the GFX 100S? It looks like the mass of the camera has increased at the bottom. It almost looks like there is a built in vertical grip with extra batter capacity. Is there any reason why the body would be bigger to accommodate IBIS?

Christopher

Sadly yes it’s more like a canon 1 camera. I hope it changes, but even though they say they integrated the grip out of user request, I’m not sure if is more because of IBIS and all the other tech they need in that body. Don’t forget it’s a 100MP that need to be tampered.

hcubell

Sadly yes it’s more like a canon 1 camera. I hope it changes, but even though they say they integrated the grip out of user request, I’m not sure if is more because of IBIS and all the other tech they need in that body. Don’t forget it’s a 100MP that need to be tampered.

I guess everything has its price. It becomes ever more clear that what Fuji is targeting with the GFX is the pro DSLR market. Essentially a Canon 1 but mirrorless and with a bigger sensor. If the price of IBIS is what I see with the GFX 100S (and there may be other reasons), I seriously doubt that Hasselblad will make the decision to incorporate it into the X2D. I hope they stay the course with the existing form factor. IBIS is not worth that sacrifice to me in the way I shoot.

PeterA

I guess everything has its price. It becomes ever more clear that what Fuji is targeting with the GFX is the pro DSLR market. Essentially a Canon 1 but mirrorless and with a bigger sensor. If the price of IBIS is what I see with the GFX 100S (and there may be other reasons), I seriously doubt that Hasselblad will make the decision to incorporate it into the X2D. I hope they stay the course with the existing form factor. IBIS is not worth that sacrifice to me in the way I shoot.
The 'mock-up' is a camera which will deliver 100megapixels/image stabilised and capable of delivering 4K video the first serious large megapixel crossover monster to be made -combined with a a lens line-up made by a company whose MF /LF pedigree is as good as it gets ( just ask Hasselblad) call the Camera what you like, sneer at its Japanese maker by referencing a Company like Canon - whatever makes you feel better. My pre-order is already in and my XID and long relationshiop with Hasselblad is over....-:)

Last edited:

tcdeveau

The GFX100 body is just a mock-up/concept at this point and could change I suppose. It does appear to follow the general trend in mirrorless of adding features necessitating a bigger body. It also looks like they relocated the battery compartment, which should make the camera much more l-bracket friendly.

DB5

I love the design and personally welcome the integrated grip on a camera that needs one. I can appreciate that some would prefer no grip though. I do agree that it's probably to house the IBIS.

Phase V

Yep, totally retro style like a old Canon F1 with winder.
Hipster will buy this.
Some will struggle to get a film in it and will sell quickly, i call this
a win win situation ;)

narikin

I love the design and personally welcome the integrated grip on a camera that needs one. I can appreciate that some would prefer no grip though. I do agree that it's probably to house the IBIS.
and bigger batteries - more processing power, IBIS, etc.

I think Doug is dissembling, as any Phase dealer would be. The XF is a dinosaur in comparison. I'll be selling mine and moving to Fuji, once this becomes a reality. No question.

IBIS is great, as is full PDAF across 100% of frame. The choice for Phase is simple: step up, or fade away.

Han anyone looked closely at the Mock-up of the GFX 100S? It looks like the mass of the camera has increased at the bottom. It almost looks like there is a built in vertical grip with extra batter capacity. Is there any reason why the body would be bigger to accommodate IBIS?
Yes I noticed that. I personally would prefer to attach the grip when and only when I need it.

The other thing, I noticed, is that they seem to say goodby to the typical Fuji ergonomics with labeled dials. I prefer the 50R layout.

I am not so sure if that will still change as in the promo video, it seems the outer body design is already finished .. but who knows.

The Fuji XH1 is physically larger than the XT2 to accommodate IBIS. It is not really a surprise that the GFS would be larger than the GFX/GFR as well.

Last edited: