The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NCL Jewel - bring MF gear?

JeffK

Anyone gone on a cruise and brought their MF gear for use on port of call excursions?

or better to just use a current iphone?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

On a 2 week trip to Costa Rica and Panama on a 49 passenger cruise I took my XF/IQ4 with 45, 80 and 150 mm lenses, but generally picked one to go ashore with depending on the location. (Panama City - 45 mm - CR National Parks, 150 mm.)

JeffK

On a 2 week trip to Costa Rica and Panama on a 49 passenger cruise I took my XF/IQ4 with 45, 80 and 150 mm lenses, but generally picked one to go ashore with depending on the location. (Panama City - 45 mm - CR National Parks, 150 mm.)
do you have those photos post online anywhere?
Just found this...https://www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca/galleries/latin-america/

Were you hand holding shots, or bring a smallish tripod?

dchew

I did, but it depends on the ship and the cruise. See my Antarctica post here in the BTS thread.

These days the ships don't "drop anchor" when they stop in a bay somewhere; they use a "digital anchor" that uses gps to directly control the ship's drives. Keeps the ship from moving much at all even with wind and currents.

The GFX worked out great while the ship was on the move too.

Dave

tcdeveau

I'd leave most of the camera at home unless it were a photo-centric cruise, or a cruise to somewhere exotic like Antarctica.

If I were going to take MF gear on a cruise, I'd probably bring something like an X2D or GFX with IBIS and a zoom lens or two that could be more of a "swiss army knife" camera compared to P1/tech cam gear. I know we like to wax poetic about the simplicity of the P1 stuff, but the modern shiny features like IBIS on other systems can be nice for travel situations like cruises IMHO.

YMMV of course.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

do you have those photos post online anywhere?
Just found this...https://www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca/galleries/latin-america/

Were you hand holding shots, or bring a smallish tripod?
That's all old outdated stuff - I've been too busy to update the website. My recent trip was strictly hand holding! (Though often using a wall or tree for support.)