The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Member cannot send PM?

I believe my account is from 2013, but I didn't login for a long time. When I login recently, I notice it becomes a new member and I cannot PM people. I wonder for what reason I cannot send PM, is there a way to fix it?

When I click on member's username, I can only see follow and ignore options, there is no PM option

pegelli

Now click on the name "drevil" next to the avatar and see if the page that comes up then has the option "start a conversation" for you

Rick M

I am having the same issue as espelancer.
Clicking on the person's name does not give me an option to "start a conversation".
I have checked settings in my account and can't find an issue there either.

Jmaaa

Same here...was trying to send Rick a message but it's not possible. I'm technically not even a new member but my old login doesn't work anymore and the option to send password didn't send me anything so I had to create a new account.

Wall-H

Same here. For me, I don't see option of "Start conversation". I had hard time getting registration email sent to account. I'd to reach out to Steve Hendricks who was kind enough to get in touch with admins and i got this access.
There is even thread on dpreview for this https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4709265

BillyBagel

Also not seeing this option. Would also like to call attention to post #9 as well as this thread regarding email registrations and password resets:

MSB

I will tag on as an affected new member. I never received the registration email, and contacted a site admin from the “contact us” web form at the bottom of the page.

they were able to activate my account, but I still lack privliges to initiate a direct message.

I am Aware that some forum software have a way to regulate members, restricting from certain areas or activities like direct messaging until a user has met certain criteria, like making a minimum number of posts, or paying a fee to access a privileged area,…. So maybe there is a checkbox somewhere in the admin panel that is being defaulted when a site admin has to assist with authorizing a new account?

MSB

And now, I have the much sought after "Start conversation" button. I don't know if an admin flipped a switch, or if it was a time based delay. But I haven't made any new posts between the last time I checked and lacked the button, and just now when I checked and I have it. It has been 14 days since my account was activated.. so.. maybe that is the threshold?