The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Old lenses, post your samples

arri

Please don´t hesitate to post your own samples here, I know that a lot of photographers find it interesting to see picture taken with old lenses.

I prefer the uncoated ones, made earlier than 1945. Here it is possible to find lenses which are not only sharp, this ones have unique characteristics.
Now I start with a lens from the small swiss maker Emil Suter, located in Basel. Named "Stella" 160mm f/5
It is not an anastigmat but made in the 1920th. It is a kind of soft focus lens with a very interesting rendering. A late child of the pictoralism.

This sample is made with f/5. Ilford FP4+, Adox FX-39 II developer and negative scanned with the Epson V700

This sample is made with f/16. Ilford FP4+, Adox FX-39 II developer and negative scanned with the Epson V700

Last edited:

arri

Here is a sample made with a rare Carl Zeiss Jena Biotessar 165mm f/2.8
This lenses were only delivered with cameras with focal plane shutter, so it comes only with aperture mounts.
I want my Biotessar in a shutter, and now it is finished.
A synchronised F.Deckel Compound IV shutter.
The lens:

And here´s the sample:
Fomapan 100 @ ISO 50, Adox FX-39 II, 7 + 2.5 minutes, sheet film 4x5 in., Sinar F1

Last edited:

strymeow

Here is a sample made with a rare Carl Zeiss Jena Biotessar 165mm f/2.8
This lenses were only delivered with cameras with focal plane shutter, so it comes only with aperture mounts.
I want my Biotessar in a shutter, and now it is finished.
A synchronised F.Deckel Compound IV shutter.
The lens:

And here´s the sample:
Fomapan 100 @ ISO 50, Adox FX-39 II, 7 + 2.5 minutes, sheet film 4x5 in., Sinar F1

I recently acquired a copy of this lens and am hoping to shutter-mount it as well. Were you able to simply screw the cells into the shutter, or did your setup require specialized mounting?

arri

I recently acquired a copy of this lens and am hoping to shutter-mount it as well. Were you able to simply screw the cells into the shutter, or did your setup require specialized mounting?
The threads of the Compound IV shutters can be a little bit different, the lens cells fitted into a post war C. IV without any problems but not in a postwar shutter I have had.

strymeow

So it’s a roll of the dice then, eh? Wouldn’t be interesting otherwise, I suppose! Thanks for the info, and glad to see yours is working well in a shutter. Do share some more images when you can— the one you posted above does not show up for me.

I’m going to take my chances with a shutter I found listed and see what happens. Fingers crossed! In the meantime, here’s another wide open shot with mine on MG paper. These uncoated lenses are a bit prone to flare, it seems...

5BF13CD6-C590-4549-8787-C6829ADBF269.jpeg

strymeow

It could also be that paper is more sensitive to blue and UV, making the the flare more pronounced. A UV filter might compensate for some of that.
I had wondered as much, and I hope to know for sure later this month when I get the equipment to develop sheet film and see how it interacts with the lens. Thanks for weighing in!

arri

Pictures made with old pre war wide angle lenses are very rare, this lenses are noch easy to handle.
I made this sample with a Hugo Meyer Wide Angle Aristostigmat 6.3/83mm in 4x5" format. The lens were made in the early 1930th
It is good visible that the lens has a big problem with internal reflexions because of the four single and uncoated elements.
But it is a sharp lens and the reflexions gave the image a unique charme.
Angle of view acc. Meyer 105° but I found 90-95° is usable. More only when the object is really obtimal for it, indoor with a perfect illumination, f.e.

arri

A DIY made lens, an ISCO Kiptar 2.9/170mm projection lens, now mounted in a Compound III shutter.
A lot of work but I find it worth.
A classic Petzval lens, made in the 1950th, already coated but with the typical image reproduction.

And here two test samples, the first made with f/2.9 and the second with f/8
Xray film