The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus 40 - 150mm AF issues

I have an Olympus 40 - 150mm f4 - 5.6 lens which I bought second hand a number of years ago. Very nice image quality but I hate to say it but it is a frustrating lens to use. I have a love / hate relationship with this particular lens. The auto focus is very inconsistent. I always choose areas of contrast when selecting which part of the scene to place the AF cursor in the viewfinder screen. But despite this, I end up with quite a few photos that are slightly out of focus. And annoyingly, it's not always obvious until I get back home and view the files on a regular size computer monitor (zoomed in 100%.) Super frustrating when this sort of thing occurs overseas and you're not likely to visit the location again.

There are other times when the AF works perfectly fine. It's very random. Sometimes I'm forced to shoot a large number of photos of the same subject in the hope that at least some of the files will be in focus. And resorting to manual focus is not a simple fix. I find this particular lens difficult to manually focus.

By the way, I have only used this lens on Panasonic M4/3 camera bodies. I don't own an Olympus body but do you reckon if I obtained an Olympus camera and mounted this lens to it, the AF would be more consistent?

f6cvalkyrie

I have exactly the opposite problem : using a Panasonic 100-400 lens on my Oly E-M1X camera is a hit or miss regarding focus ...
Although the lens fits perfectly, and the AF of the lens is probably OK, the combi Oly body and Panasonic lens is less than optimal ...
I learned the hard way that micro4/3 compatibility has its limits !!!

Happy holidays,
Rafael

Rafael, that is very interesting to hear that you are experiencing similar issues when using a Panasonic lens on an Olympus body. Yea so much for the M4/3 compatibility! The compatibility thing sounded a bit too good to be true. I hope you are able to get more consistent AF performance using the lens on a Panasonic body if you are able to get hold of one. Meanwhile, I might have to hunt around for a second hand Olympus body for my Oly zoom lens.

Last edited:

AlanS

I seem to remember that there was a list put out by both Olympus and panasonic showing make/body/lens compatability. I also seem to remember that firmware for both body and lens needed to be up to date. Might be worth checking you have the latest installed?

I didn't realise that such a list existed.

I admit Ive never installed firmware with any electronic device. I guess there might be instructions on how to do this with a camera and a lens.