The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Options for shifting a digital Hasselblad V system

mristuccia

Small update for those who are still interested in this topic.
I've just bought a used Cambo Wide DS with the V back plate. I've ordered the custom Litz Studio adapter for the V lenses as well.
Total cost: €1500,00.

I think this is a good compromise, and I'm open to using the Rodenstock or the Schneider lenses, if I'll be able to afford them in the future.

Will post here my feedbacks as soon as I get them. :)

Thanks again for all your feedbacks.

Last edited:

mristuccia

Happy ending. It works like a charm. :)

This is my first try: the former Berlin's airport "Tempelhof" by night.
10mm vertical shift with the C T* 2.8/80mm.

The 40 IF works great as well, with almost 10mm l/r shift and 15mm raise/fall in landscape position on my 44x33 CFV-50c CMOS sensor.

I know that the new Cambo WRS series would have been lighter and smaller. Will see in the future whether it is worth it. :)

jng

Marco,

I'm super happy for you that this all worked out! Your post reminds me of how much I regret selling my 40 IF - it's an amazing lens and I really loathe parting with great glass, but once I transitioned fully to the Cambo it became redundant with the Rodenstock 40HR.

Enjoy!

John

mristuccia

Marco,

I'm super happy for you that this all worked out! Your post reminds me of how much I regret selling my 40 IF - it's an amazing lens and I really loathe parting with great glass, but once I transitioned fully to the Cambo it became redundant with the Rodenstock 40HR.

Enjoy!

John
Hi John, thank you again for the suggestions.
Yes, the IF is a great lens, tack sharp and great in contrast/colours. But I think it has a bit too much distortion for critical architecture work. I can correct it with Phocus when not shifted, but once shifted all the automatic corrections are not valid anymore. For landscape work this is not going to be a problem however.

I think that your Rodie 40HR is much better, and lighter. So no regrets, you've done the right move.

Maybe in the future I'll add a Rodie as well, but in the Cambo WTS "tilt" mount version. A 23mm for example would be great.

Best!

jng

Marco,

Ah yes, the very high resolution of the 40 IF comes with significant distortion. There are similar complaints about the Rodie 40HR, but I find it to be superb for what I do (which generally is not architecture). In this regard the SWC's 38mm Biogon was king both in terms of resolution and lack of distortion although it does not play so well with the digital sensors and of course cannot be shifted. I believe the SK35 is highly favored but there will be some issues with lens cast on all but the most recent CMOS sensors. Not to worry - Dante will find you eventually!

John

mristuccia

Do you know about the Alpa lens correction PS plugin? It can correct distortion in shifted lenses, and has profiles for Zeiss (Hass, Contax), Rodenstock, Schneider & others. I believe it’s the same tool as implemented in Capture One.

https://www.alpa.ch/en/article/acam-lens-corrector-plug-in
Wow Alan, you made my day! :)
There is no correction folder for the CFV50c but I assume I can use the HD50c, as it has the same sensor.

Thanks a lot!

TheDude

CFV-50c Digital Back ... Unfortunately my back does not offer ES. Well, almost, I can operate the ES from 32min to 1/8sec, not faster than this.
I also have the CFV-50c Digital Back but I wasn't aware of this feature. Could you please elaborate?

Would this work also without a PC synch cable?

Thanks.

MN

mristuccia

I also have the CFV-50c Digital Back but I wasn't aware of this feature. Could you please elaborate?

Would this work also without a PC synch cable?

Thanks.

MN
I didn't implement this solution jet, but I'm slowly working on it.

The idea is pretty simple: the CFV-50c can be connected to the flash hot pin of any mechanical shutter. There is a dedicated cable to do so. This is normally used in conjunction with a technical camera by setting the "camera type" on the CFV-50c to "flash sync".
So I'm currently working on a small passive circuit schema that, when connected to my iPhone and a custom app on one side, and to the CFV-50c flash sync cable on the other side, is able to simulate what normally a shutter flash hot pin does (close and open the circuit for a defined time duration).
This would theoretically allow me to trigger the CFV-50c ES while keeping the lens shutter always open (or while using a shutterless lens). The limitation is the fastest CFV-50c ES speed, which is 1/8 sec. This cannot be solved.
I didn't have the time to go further with this project, because I've found another solution to cock and trigger the shutter of my Hassy lenses with the Cambo camera. But if I will decide to go further with this idea I can keep you up to date.