The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PELI and other alternative for storing MF tech camera

TsurTriger

I have Cambo Ultima + MF + lenses that I want to buy a storing case for the entire equipment.
I want a case in order to restore the equipment, but more important for portability via my clients.

First question:
What PELICAN model is recommended?

Second question:
Does it has alternative? Or go for the good and known, but more expensive (more than twice).

Any specific model based on personal experience?
I would like to purchase one case for the lenses+their board. I have around 8 lenses. handle case.
Second case for the technical system with place for 2 lenses + their board. Trolley case.

beano_z

I have Cambo Ultima + MF + lenses that I want to buy a storing case for the entire equipment.
I want a case in order to restore the equipment, but more important for portability via my clients.

First question:
What PELICAN model is recommended?

Second question:
Does it has alternative? Or go for the good and known, but more expensive (more than twice).

Any specific model based on personal experience?
I would like to purchase one case for the lenses+their board. I have around 8 lenses. handle case.
Second case for the technical system with place for 2 lenses + their board. Trolley case.
There are tons of configurations available from Pelican / HPRC / Nanuk and the likes. I think it only becomes limiting when you start considering sizes for in cabin carry on when traveling, otherwise, you'll have plenty of choice. Their website lists the specific internal dimensions (for you to fit your gear into) and external dimensions (to fit into you cabinet or car).

Regarding brands, I feel both HPRC and Nanuk have a nicer feel to them than the Pelican's and depending where you live, they might be cheaper too.

But one piece of advice is, the cases are by themselves really heavy, so unless you're rolling them through the airport or can shoot on location not far from where you've parked your car, they are basically useless. Also, because of the small wheels (which have no suspension), they generate lots of vibration when dragged over cement or tarmac on sidewalks on streets, which might cause screws and other bits to loosen on your camera, beware.

danlindberg

I use a Peli 1520 which is ok for cabin. The total weight of the below is 9.6kg so that is just about ok for cabin as well.

I have carrying straps too and I am fine to go trekking for half a day with this on my back. Or if I am going with my motorbike this is perfect!

The great thing for me apart that the equipment is safe inside is that it is completely dustproof. I am a lot on dusty Spanish gravel roads and it really is a killer in a normal camerabag.

I do prefer to be able to have the camera completely assembled inside, but it is complicated to stick with a reaonable size case. And with the 32hr being (slightly) more fragile I finally have made a compromise and keep the lenses in perfect slots for each one.

What cannot be seen here is that if I prefer the FPS, the cutouts under the MAX are made for the FPS too, so easily exchangable! :thumbup:

TsurTriger

Thank you both.
I was thinking about the Peli 1560.
I do not fly much, after all Israel is a small country. But I prefer to use a trolley. It is more easier to move from the office to the car and vise versa. I find it a bit hard to decide if the size is enough for me or not, without see it in eyes. Any suggestion how to plan the equipment order in the case in order to understand if it fit?

robmac

If you want a lighter alternative, take a peek at Porta Brace cases (see B&H). 101 different models, hardshell lining, dividers, protective lens cases, etc., and gobs of exterior pockets for gear that you need but doesn't need taking up valuable protected space inside. Weather resistant and much lighter than hardcases.

MrSmith

i have tried loads of rolling cases and in my experience a peli is only good for going from boot of car-across office car-park to location.
if you have to travel via various modes of transport and walk further than across a car-park then the answer is think-tank. every other roller case i have tried either rocks from side to side because the wheels are in the wrong place (peli and lowepro) or the handle is too short for a 6footer and you do your back/neck in from tilting over. the peli cases are tough but they are just not very mobile.

plus cabin/crew staff know they are heavy so always seem to single them out. i now use the think tank roller-case for the hold and the expensive kit goes in an airport accelerator back-pack(i think thats what its called) and i always stand front-on at the boarding gate so they think its just a normal backpack and it never gets attention or tagged to go in the hold.

archivue

i prefer to use two cases or bags...

in one, i put the Arca RM3D kit ( one lens, DB, viewfinder... )
In the other one, i have all the other lenses, batteries...

when i'm arriving at destination, i leave the first case empty somewhere, and put the camera on the tripod.
So i have a smaller bag to carry all day long...