The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645D help needed; black frames

rapier84

Hi all,

I have been using a 645D for some time and recently got into some issues, hoping that someone can enlighten me on what’s going on.

basically, the camera has been shooting random black frames on aperture priority mode. Happened first on my 55mm but also on the 45-85mm. Can’t really figure out any patterns but seems most common at large aperture and higher shutter speeds. I tried to reset the camera. I’ve also tried different SD cards to eliminate card errors. My guess is it’s a aperture control or shutter issue and I am probably dead out of luck as no one repairs the camera in Singapore. I’d just like to ask the gurus here if you have had such an experience and any thing I might have missed?

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Steve Hendrix

Hi all,

I have been using a 645D for some time and recently got into some issues, hoping that someone can enlighten me on what’s going on.

basically, the camera has been shooting random black frames on aperture priority mode. Happened first on my 55mm but also on the 45-85mm. Can’t really figure out any patterns but seems most common at large aperture and higher shutter speeds. I tried to reset the camera. I’ve also tried different SD cards to eliminate card errors. My guess is it’s a aperture control or shutter issue and I am probably dead out of luck as no one repairs the camera in Singapore. I’d just like to ask the gurus here if you have had such an experience and any thing I might have missed?

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

I don't know that much about the Pentax 645D, but ... When you say "higher shutter speeds", do you mean faster shutter speeds? If so, how do you know it shot a black frame (at say, 1/250th of a second)?

Steve Hendrix/CI

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I don't know that much about the Pentax 645D, but ... When you say "higher shutter speeds", do you mean faster shutter speeds? If so, how do you know it shot a black frame (at say, 1/250th of a second)?

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve,
I suspect that @rapier84 means that the picture comes out black, not that it did a black frame noise reduction.
Matt

Steve Hendrix

Steve,
I suspect that @rapier84 means that the picture comes out black, not that it did a black frame noise reduction.
Matt

Oh, right .... 😑

Had a call earlier today and long discussion about black frame reference captures, and my mind saw black frame and switched back on.

Then I'm really of not much use here, sorry!

Steve Hendrix/CI

Shashin

I had to replace a board in my 645D. As far as I remember, it had something to do with power control. I sent it back to Pentax in Japan.

rapier84

Thanks @Steve Hendrix and @MGrayson for the inputs :) Yes, pardon my loose usage of terms. At faster shutter speeds (e.g. 1/500) most of the shots turn up entirely black.

@Shashin - thanks, that sounds expensive! Ouch. I guess i am really out of luck. Either splash out for another 645D or just go ahead and get a GFX :(

rapier84

@rdeloe My main concern is the colours (even though the Fujis are excellent in their own right) as I've been using CCDs (Mamiya ZD, then the 645D) and loved the output :)

@Shashin Thanks! If its not too much trouble could you provide me with the contact in Japan please so that I could sent a request for repair. Hopefully its nothing too serious :cry:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Whenever I see recommendations for a particular brand or camera, I feel compelled to repeat: The only thing that matters is whether or not YOU like the system - its handling and its output. Not technology, not size or weight, not fashion, not even price. Value is what YOU think it is.

Try other systems, by all means. It's the only way to know what's best for you. But you get to decide.

Last edited:

rdeloe

@rdeloe My main concern is the colours (even though the Fujis are excellent in their own right) as I've been using CCDs (Mamiya ZD, then the 645D) and loved the output :)
Ah, that's a whole other thing then. I hope you can get your D fixed. If not, many people shoot Pentax 645 lenses on GFX cameras and can provide samples that you can use to evaluate whether you'd like using that body, or buying another 645D.

Good luck!

Shashin

Easy of use and quantitative technical specs does not mean better photographs or satisfaction. As you can tell, I am still using my 645D. And I am not the only one using less than optimal technology on this forum. But photography for me is just for myself. I enjoy the process. Different cameras and processes give differnent results, but none of the results, no matter how technically limited, are aesthetically inferior--they are just different. Sure under marginal light, a newer camera will make technically better images, but I find images under marginal light are not very good anyway, regardless of the technical difference.

Still, it is hard to evaluate a negative--you may really like Fuji cameras. There is only one way to find out. And for me, it always takes some break in time to understand a camera, so it is never an easy process of picking a camera up and shooting a couple of frames.

rapier84

Thanks all

Of course moving to a Fuji or the 645z for that matter will get me gains in areas like iso performance, resolution etc. But as pointed out it’s the tools that you are happy with. The D is outdated in relative terms but 40mp is more than enough (I recall cameras were just breaking 5mp when I started). The ‘slow’ processing made me slow down and think about my shooting more. 😅 Though I must say if I were to start again today the Fuji would be a strong contender

MartinN

If there is a possibility to repair, it is a possibility to reclaim some value from a bought product. I have a Leaf Aptus 22 that nobody wants to repair. If there was a possibility, I would repair it as soon as possible.

D&A

Thanks all

Of course moving to a Fuji or the 645z for that matter will get me gains in areas like iso performance, resolution etc. But as pointed out it’s the tools that you are happy with. The D is outdated in relative terms but 40mp is more than enough (I recall cameras were just breaking 5mp when I started). The ‘slow’ processing made me slow down and think about my shooting more. 😅 Though I must say if I were to start again today the Fuji would be a strong contender
You started with cameras at just breaking at 5MP? What a luxury! Often those I used were around 1MP :) . I too like Will worked with the Pentax 645D and loved its CCD output (as I do from the Leica M9 CCD) and find output from CMOS just different (not better or worse) regardless of post processing skills. I eventually moved to the 645Z and although the technological improvements are there, often times I look back on my 645D files and lament a bit. With that said, I do feel Pentax did a excellent job with the output of the CMOS 645Z and the improvements in using the camera balances out nicely with its output, that's not quite the 645D output (in my opinion) but close in many regards.

Whether it would be better to seek out repair of your 645D, replace it with another, move to a 645Z or look into the many other excellent systems like a Fuji, as Matt said, is all subjective, personal and what's right for you.

Dave (D&A)