The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Period Unable to focus with 907X

spb

Staff member
So yesterday I went out in the snow to take some images of my favourite trees laden with snow. The temperature was -5 degrees still within the range specified for the 907X. I also had the Control Grip on.

Got to the first tree, so 2 minutes outside, switched camera on and when I pressed the shutter button, the auto focus square could not confirm focus red square, and not only that the auto focus square was dancing about, I was not pressing any of the buttons including shutter button. I tried to take an image up to 3 or 4 minutes afterwards. Removed the battery, waited a minute. Arrived at my favourite tree, same thing. This time I ignored the dancing auto focus square and fired the shutter two or three times. XCD 30mm lens. Managed to get one good shot out of 4. Switched off walked 3 minutes to the next tree, switched on and focus confirmation almost instant i.e. completely normal. From then on for the next 40 minutes no problems at all, and lovely images.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The only reason I could think of , is , that the different electronic components take different time to reach the same temperature , your -5C .
and therefore behave different . ❄❄❄

Reactions: spb

spb

Staff member
The only reason I could think of , is , that the different electronic components take different time to reach the same temperature , your -5C .
and therefore behave different . ❄❄❄
Ok it is the first time it happened, and I have been out several times reently when it has been 1 to 2 degrees or -1 - 2. Camera is working as normal inside today, so I am not worried.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Stephen
I would not worry either . I believe , you could have several units that might show similar symptoms already at +-0C or work flawless at -10C .
But my kit will not suffer that sickness, as I don‘t like snow and will not go out with my 907 kit .:giggle:
We have very heavy snowfall right now , hibernation comes into my mind .

spb

Staff member
I normally prefer to hibernate! However, with most places closed I cannot resist to go out.

Vilpo

Any chance that autofocus could not find enough contrast from the snow? With pure white snow and even lightning it is not an easy task for auto focus. I have had some experiences of that issue with mirrorless 35mm cameras recently.

spb

Staff member
Possible but would be the very first time I had come across it

Last edited:

spb

Staff member
Any chance that autofocus could not find enough contrast from the snow? With pure white snow and even lightning it is not an easy task for auto focus. I have had some experiences of that issue with mirrorless 35mm cameras recently.
Possible but would be the very first time I had come across it. Ah but wait a minute thinking on this, would you say any different, if the lens was XCD 30 or 65 or 90mm? It seems to me you could be right and that effect is magnifies with a wider angle lens. Normally I go out with either the 65 or 90 mm and never a problem so far.

onasj

I'm not sure it's a temperature issue. Have you updated the firmware of all your lenses and your body? I had occasional (rare) autofocus issues with some XCD lenses on my 907x that seem to be corrected by the recent firmware update—at least no instances since then. If I recall correctly, some of the firmware update notes suggested autofocus fixes.

bab

Sounds like a temperature switch hiccup from warm to cold? My guess the camera throttled off to protection mode.