The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One “Space Hardened” Camera

akaru

This beast doesn’t have a global shutter, does it?

buildbot

This beast doesn’t have a global shutter, does it?
Not in any docs I could find, it seems to be the standard IMX411 in a space hardened package. They slip in this has been in orbit since 2022!

tcdeveau

Presumably not until Sony makes a new sensor. They haven’t even finished the iq4 yet ;)
Haha, ouch, shots fired.

Space phase is cool though! I'd love to see some images but I imagine this type of thing is probably used to monitor hardware and exterior damage and what not so any out there might not be too interesting.

diggles

The video highlights that it is a "Snapshot Matrix Camera". I did a quick "what is a snapshot matrix camera" Google search and didn't find an answer to what it means. Is snapshot matrix camera a marketing phrase or a specific type of technology?

buildbot

The video highlights that it is a "Snapshot Matrix Camera". I did a quick "what is a snapshot matrix camera" Google search and didn't find an answer to what it means. Is snapshot matrix camera a marketing phrase or a specific type of technology?
I believe they mean it’s an array - 2d, vs. a single linear line. Since it is in space, orbiting, a lot of space cameras just literally scan the ground as they orbit. This saves weight/cost/area but would distort anything moving really fast.

f8orbust

And there was me thinking all the time that it was only P1's prices which were stratospheric. Turns out their cameras are as well.

(Actually, I think these will be used in the exosphere, but my witticism wouldn't have worked as well).

Jim