The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF and Profoto A1 TTL - really working??

eisbaer

Hello,

I have a Phase One XF and the Profoto A1. I was told and I read at certain websites (Blog entry at phaseone.com and at catptureintegration) that one should be able to use the A1 like a SystemFlash with the XF. I have the A1 for Canon and on my 1Dx II it works all fine.
On the Phase One, independently of the flash mode - Normal, Fill, Ambient I always get completely inconsistent results. Some times the flash works full power and always uses 10.0 Power, sometimes only 2.0. Sometimes it works well for some pictures and has normal values between 2.2 and 9.7 and sometimes even the amount of light is right, but this is the case with only 20% of the pictures.
Flash is Set to TTL, Air TTL is on, as said no difference which mode I use. I tried to tape the pins, use a contactless shoe, or to work off shoe. In all cases the same problem. And I know to other photographers who have exact the same problem as me and no solution in sight.

I read that capture integration say that they got it to work, but in last sentences they suggest to go to manual mode... which would not be the thing I am looking for.
I think I tried almost everything so I wonder if this is really working or do we have to wait for a firmware update for the XF or the A1?

Does anybody has a step by step instruction, what I must set on the flash and on the XF that I can get this to work.... I would be very, very grateful.

Thanks a lot.
Frank

Ben730

Frank
I also use the A1- XF combo with more ore less success.
If you put the XF and the A1 to TTL it should work.
But I'm not sure because I use it always in manual mode.
TTL is only the first shot before setting afterwards the perfect power manually. For me it's more secure.
But if you only have one chance to take the picture... :bugeyes:

A firmware update is really necessary.
I didn't buy the A1 because of my Nikons, I bought it because of the XF.
The red focus assist light of the A1 is also not working with the XF, but with my Nikons. :(

I don't understand why Phase One isn't working more on a perfect "on camera" flash solution. :thumbdown:

Let's hope for a firmware update as soon as possible (because we have to work with these tools) which includes Afr for all lenses and a complete A1 compatibility. :clap:

Regards,
Ben

beano_z

I have the same combo, I must say that it works for me, but somehow the first shot after a pause (let's say more than 5min or so) will always be underexposed. If I manually press the test fire button before I start a sequence, then the exposure (TTL) will be fine, obviously this won't happen in manual mode, so I conclude there's nothing wrong with the flash output, perhaps it's the TTL algorithm?

Also, Ben is right about the hot-shoe, you just don't consider it there and set everything up as if running a wireless unit, just use the hot-shoe as a cold one, i.e. a mechanical mount and nothing more.

eisbaer

Hi,

thanks to both of you who answered. I tried the thing with waking up the flash by firing a shot before, but for me its still completely inconsistent. For what I want to do manual is not an option as I have different distances with each shot.
Very sad that there would be the possibility to have a flash for the XF and for me it was the main reason to buy the A1. And I got from both Profoto and Phase the answer "it should work fine" but "we have no experience"...

If there are any others who can put 2cents to this issue I would be very thankful.

Frank

drunkenspyder

I just received my Profoto A1, and only have begun to play with it. But so far, I love it so much that I am returning it in favor of a Duo kit. What an amazing flash. I would say that 90% of the time with the XF, it behaves exactly as I want. Once in a while, it behaves ....... oddly. But all in all, a great flash.

JohnM

I use a PhaseOne XF with the Profoto A1 (Nikon version to be compatible with my other camera). I've had the same experience as above, where the TTL setting did not seem to work at all. Like Eisbaer's experience, I was only getting full power flashes every time. I had just accepted that this was a flawed system and just used it on manual only. I finally updated the firmware (embarrassingly for the first time after purchase), and now it actually works. It still overexposes by about 2 stops, but this is easy to compensate for in the settings. What inspired me to look into this TTL issue was the purchase of the Profoto B10x studio flashes this week. They seemed to work perfectly in TTL right out of the box. When I saw that, I knew something was wrong.