The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phocus question, all changes are dropped on export

Paul2660

I am new to Phocus, but not to image editing. However after working several X2D images up in Phocus, I am seeing the same thing, the files export, but when opened in Photoshop, the image has none of the changes I made in Phocus, basically it's the initial image. See screen prints below. What needs to be done in the export process to allow all the changes to stay in place? I am on a M1 MacBook Pro Ventura OS. In LR, no problems. Raws are exported fine or I can choose to edit in PS, which I most often do.

Thanks
Paul C

Attachments

jng

I am new to Phocus, but not to image editing. However after working several X2D images up in Phocus, I am seeing the same thing, the files export, but when opened in Photoshop, the image has none of the changes I made in Phocus, basically it's the initial image. See screen prints below. What needs to be done in the export process to allow all the changes to stay in place? I am on a M1 MacBook Pro Ventura OS. In LR, no problems. Raws are exported fine or I can choose to edit in PS, which I most often do.

Thanks
Paul C
Paul,

How are you exporting the files? You need to export the file as a tiff to keep the changes made in Phocus. There's a window listing a number of options for file type when you click to export:

1708308894405.png

Hope this helps.

John

Paul2660

Exporting as a tiff 16 bit. Images when opened in PHOTOSHOP have the prophoto color space. But none of the changes I made in Phocus.
Paul

jng

Exporting as a tiff 16 bit. Images when opened in PHOTOSHOP have the prophoto color space. But none of the changes I made in Phocus.
Paul
Huh, that's weird and not the way it's supposed to work AFAIK. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am can weigh in. Sorry I can't be of any help here!

John

Paul2660

Interesting. I don’t have any of the pro photo tif options. Only tif 16. And no PSD options. I downloaded Phocus from the main Hasselblad website. Maybe I need to un-install and reinstall? I will post a screen print tomorrow of my export options.
Thanks to all

Paul

jng

Interesting. I don’t have any of the pro photo tif options. Only tif 16. And no PSD options. I downloaded Phocus from the main Hasselblad website. Maybe I need to un-install and reinstall? I will post a screen print tomorrow of my export options.
Thanks to all

Paul
I’m not in front of my computer at the moment, bit I think I set up some of these as custom export options and assigned names when I saved them.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Here's my (unmodified) export menu.
Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 6.03.58 AM.png

Yes, it's true. I export JPEG's. :unsure: Actually, I just use Phocus for 3FR => FFF conversion and then go into LR. I think that's worse, actually...

Matt

tenmangu81

Yes, as mentioned by @jng , you can customize your export when clicking the "Edit" button. It opens a new window from which you can enter a new ouput preset. You might have a look at the below screenshot.

Capture d’écran 2024-02-19 à 12.01.08.jpg

KlausJH

I work a lot with Phocus and tried to duplicate the problem without any success. The adjustments made to a file are all embedded in the export file in all formats except for dng.
It didn't matter what the color space was, what jpg, tif or psd setting was used. So, it is really strange.

Paul2660

I have 2 MacBooks, one is older i9 based, still running Montery. On this machine Phocus exports as it should image looks the same. On my M1 MacBook running Ventura, the problem exists no matter what I attempt. Anyone here seeing this on a M1 running Ventura?

Thanks
Paul

KlausJH

I'm running Somona now on my MacBook Pro M1. But it worked also on Ventura and any other macOS before.

Steve Hendrix

I have suggested to Paul to make sure that the "Save Adjustments" preference is set to "Always Save".

Awaiting word back with fingers crossed.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Vilpo

I have 2 MacBooks, one is older i9 based, still running Montery. On this machine Phocus exports as it should image looks the same. On my M1 MacBook running Ventura, the problem exists no matter what I attempt. Anyone here seeing this on a M1 running Ventura?

Thanks
Paul
M1 Macbook Pro with Ventura 13.6 and Phocus V3.7.6 (downloaded yesterday from Hasselblad website)
I tested quickly, with couple of adjustment layers and masks. Created a custom export preset (Tiff-16, ProPhoto RGB), no strange issues, adjustments were applied as excepted.

Paul2660

With the help of Brad Kaye at CI I got a solution. He had me create a new user on the problem machine and with that user logged on Phocus exports as expected. No idea why my main user has the problem as it works fine with all other software.

Paul

rmueller

With the help of Brad Kaye at CI I got a solution. He had me create a new user on the problem machine and with that user logged on Phocus exports as expected. No idea why my main user has the problem as it works fine with all other software.

Paul
Hi Paul,
if it works with a new user, then some Phocus settings from an earlier version are eventually colliding with 3.6.7 or whatever version you have installed.
Phocus stores some settings in the user home directory under Library/Application Support/Phocus
What you can try is to login as your main user, rename the 'Phocus' directory under Library/Application Support to Phocus.old for example
and then start Phocus again. On startup it will create a new directory Library/Application Support/Phocus but then certainly some of your preferences
are lost. But they are also lost under the newly created user.

Some considerations without guarantee and at your own risk
  • If your Phocus settings got corrupted and you start like above, all your XMP settings are gone. I was able to bring them back by copying files xmpKeywords.xml and xmpViewPresets.xml fro the old Phocus directory under Library/Application Support to the new one. I mostly do this with new Phocus versions, rename the old Phocus to Phocus.old, then start the new version of Phocus (which will create a fresh 'Phocus' directory with all it needs) and then I copy over XMP settings from the old Phocus install
  • There are also some output presets in OutputPresets.xml in this directory which sometimes I merge with the new install
I hope there is no Hasselblad Phocus support guy reading this.

Regards,
Ralf

Last edited: