The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Resolution between digital and analog photographic Pictures

buildbot

So does just about everything, like the media used to record and store digital images.
Yes, it does. SSDs literally just lose charge over time too if not powered! Electrons are slippery little beasts.
I think the expression coined is 'digital rot'...
Yep!
But we can store multiple bit-identical copies of the “digital negative”.
Exactly! Use a filesystem like ZFS, which can checksum and correct errors in files for you, assuming you have a redundant copy configured via a mirror virtual device or literally set the number of copies per file/block to more than one.

buildbot

But wouldn’t one have to regularly make such copies as the previous generation ages?
There is no aging - with something like ZFS, it will detect a checksum error and replace the corrupt bits with a perfect copy of the original.

mristuccia

Indeed digital is losslessly preserved by copying it, over time, from old to new media.
This cannot be done with analog without degradation at each generation.

We can say that digital dies because its hosting environment, its world, dies.
Like all organic things, analog has a youth, an old-age and a death. That's a real life. :)

Aside from philosophical considerations however this conversation is old and overly covered, like others have already pointed out.

EDIT (added):
IMHO we'd be better off turning the discussion from "mpxl equivalence" to "visual experience equivalence". For me, the two experiences are different. That's the reason why both are valid tools which should be chosen according to specific goals.

Last edited:

Godfrey

So does just about everything, like the media used to record and store digital images.
The numbers that comprise digital images never change, and can be replicated an infinite number of times with zero loss as the medium they're stored in/on reaches end of life.

B L

I read somewhere that jpeg images will loose quality after opening and closing numbers of times. Is that so?

Godfrey

No. JPEG files lose nothing by being read and displayed. The original data in the JPEG file is untouched in such use.

Where losses occur is when you open a JPEG file, modify it, and then write out the data. That's when the nature of the JPEG compression protocol can have an effect on quality. That is, the data was already edited and compressed ... when edited again and re-compressed, some losses can occur depending on the output sizing and degree of compression you're using.

Most of the time, if you keep the quality setting high (and the compression setting therefore low, it takes many re-compression iterations to see a noticeable loss. I've tested with several popular apps creating JPEGs and in general have found that most of the better apps with compression set to 75-85% of maximum take possibly hundreds of generational re-compressions to show losses that can be detected without out a bit by bit comparison of the data.

G

rmueller

Hi,
SilberSalz35 in Germany offers a "Apollon.14K" scan service of 35mm film. The result is a stunning 14200 x 8900 pixel image of a 36 x 24mm negative. Does the image look like coming out of a 150MP Phase One? Of course not, it has the character of analog BUT there is so much you can get out of such an image. So far I have used this with Kodak Vision 3 250D and 500T film but it seems even better with 50D stock. If folks are interested I can put some images on my dropbox and share, let me know.
Attached image is a screen shot from the SilberSalz35 web site (https://silbersalz35.com/)

Regards,
Ralf

Apollon14K.png

Godfrey

I don't know what ZFS is, but on my Apple system, I have Time Machine set to continuously, incrementally backup my work as I use the system, and I use ChronoSync independently after work sessions to make a more pointed, selective backup of my work to two external archive masters with every photo session. In 20 years worth of image processing thousands (tens of thousands really) of photographs, while I've lost an occasional drive to the gods of malfeasant hardware, I have not yet lost a single digital image.

I have many thousands of film images I made in the time period 1963 to 2002, when I bought my first quality digital capture camera. I keep working at scanning it into digital format whenever I have time, but what I find is that vast amounts of it have degraded to the point of "happy to see for the memory, but too badly ruined by time and the inevitable to do much else with." Once digitized, even all that stuff remains viewable, accessible, for the rest of my Time.

Once I'm gone, I doubt whether I'm going to be worried as to whether anyone else is concerned with keeping the photo archive maintained. ;)

G

sbjornda

I've tested with several popular apps creating JPEGs and in general have found that most of the better apps with compression set to 75-85% of maximum take possibly hundreds of generational re-compressions to show losses that can be detected without out a bit by bit comparison of the data.
I have found the same thing. It's really not an issue except perhaps for archival or forensic purposes where perhaps there may be contractual or legal implications, though I don't know of any real life examples.

Sterling

Pieter 12

I recently had a rude awakening that drives physically fail, too. No system will help there unless you are willing to go to extremes.

buildbot

I recently had a rude awakening that drives physically fail, too. No system will help there unless you are willing to go to extremes.
Ouch that sucks. And yeah, mirror drives are extreme and/or backups.
I have a fairly extreme setup, with 52.7TB in one of my ZFS pools. Currently 8 drives, in four mirrored pairs. This has saved me from one drive death so far, and a few instances of bit rot were caught and fixed.

If you are using a recent Linux kernel, yes.
Or Solaris/illumos/smartos/FreeBSD ;)
You'd need to also use: zfs set copies=2 <dataset> in order to make sure a single drive can recover from a corrupt block using the extra copy.