The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock 180 vs 138 in the wind

Paul Spinnler

Interestingly enough, the WRX-138 is not an official XT system lens, but only a XT compatible variant – it is just sold via Cambo. Initially P1 wanted it to release a wireless XT version, but since they couldn't make the internal wiring work with the floating lens system and housing assembly it was taken out of the P1 roadmap and is now solely a Cambo "WRX" lens which happens to fit the XT because they have the same mount. A fully integrated 138 would have been fantastic, ie without cabling, but given the very low sales numbers any further R&D to make it fully integrated probably didn't make sense.

Also, because of the XT system's design, meaning non-removable electronic backside back adapter, the setups become quite unbalanced without spacer optionality in the back. That's where Alpa's short barrel approach is kind of genius as it effectively increases the shift ways of all SB lenses by allowing for a extender to be mounted at the back. In return, this makes it unlikely that we see an integrated X system back adapter for other systems than P1's XT lineup.

Meaning because it has a cable it is not officially an XT line lens. This is different from the initial plan of P1 to also sell it before the re-engineering MK II exercise to accept an X shutter. They even listed a longer lens on the XT site for a long time.

Now the XT linup stops at 90mm and P1 doesnt sell the 138.

I think this means it also doesnt record shift, in my understanding, which is not a real problem here, but still to be known.

Also, this variant here, is a bit of a shame with the long barrel; you cannot use the full image circle of this fantastic lens due to mechanical vignetting.

So to use it on an XT you need to essentially accept: smaller IC, cabling and no metadata recording.

If you are on Cambo better to get the short barrel variant which gives you the flexibility to use it more broadly on a 5000 series body, ie buying a LB version of this one is a bit of a waste of optical potential :(

The Alpa variant, courtesy of the Pano and XY, is the only system where the full potential can be exploited (well except on an AS bellows camera), ie 35mm+ ... which is insane.

Last edited:

akaru

Out of all of the flaws with the XT, this one bothers me the most. Just make a 48mm back adapter with electronic pass-through, charge $3k for it, and no compromise!

Paul Spinnler

I am afraid it is too late with all the fixed tube lenses which they sold already. They just released tilt variants of the 32, 50 which are also fixed without back extension option forever and where the Gen I lenses cannot even be upgraded. Alpa has a 34mm back extension option for the 50 HR which effectively increases its IC ...

It is a great system if you are content to work within its limitations. But if you want to do some specialty stuff – e.g. extreme stitching or film you need to go the Alpa route.

cunim

The Alpa variant, courtesy of the Pano and XY, is the only system where the full potential can be exploited (well except on an AS bellows camera), ie 35mm+ ... which is insane.
Yep. Wondrous. The pano in post #17 was about +30 mm but that was on a 3di, not a bellows or an Alpa. Just a parallel movement of course.

Last edited:

tcdeveau

Well, some people even use this lens in a stubborn Robinson helicopter:
I think we all would give it a shot too if P1 was footing the bill and providing the equipment. Maybe that’s his personal lens but I doubt it. Must be nice to be him….for such an endeavor I would’ve chosen a spot with less tourists in the frame but to each their own.

4x5Australian

Interestingly enough, the WRX-138 is not an official XT system lens, but only a XT compatible variant – it is just sold via Cambo. Initially P1 wanted it to release a wireless XT version, but since they couldn't make the internal wiring work with the floating lens system and housing assembly it was taken out of the P1 roadmap and is now solely a Cambo "WRX" lens which happens to fit the XT because they have the same mount. A fully integrated 138 would have been fantastic, ie without cabling, but given the very low sales numbers any further R&D to make it fully integrated probably didn't make sense.

Also, because of the XT system's design, meaning non-removable electronic backside back adapter, the setups become quite unbalanced without spacer optionality in the back. That's where Alpa's short barrel approach is kind of genius as it effectively increases the shift ways of all SB lenses by allowing for a extender to be mounted at the back. In return, this makes it unlikely that we see an integrated X system back adapter for other systems than P1's XT lineup.

Meaning because it has a cable it is not officially an XT line lens. This is different from the initial plan of P1 to also sell it before the re-engineering MK II exercise to accept an X shutter. They even listed a longer lens on the XT site for a long time.

Now the XT linup stops at 90mm and P1 doesnt sell the 138.

I think this means it also doesnt record shift, in my understanding, which is not a real problem here, but still to be known.

Also, this variant here, is a bit of a shame with the long barrel; you cannot use the full image circle of this fantastic lens due to mechanical vignetting.

So to use it on an XT you need to essentially accept: smaller IC, cabling and no metadata recording.

If you are on Cambo better to get the short barrel variant which gives you the flexibility to use it more broadly on a 5000 series body, ie buying a LB version of this one is a bit of a waste of optical potential :(

For extended pano shift beyond 20mmL/20mmR in the Cambo ecosystem, one could also use the Cambo short barrel version with the 48mm rear spacer, which is the WRX-138SB, on the Cambo Wide DS body. With a digital rear plate (such as the WDS-614) installed, the WDS body provides 34mm up/left and 26mm down/right of shift in the long direction. The WDS body is easily mounted sideways using the big tripod screw mount within the handle.

Rod