The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock 20 Percent Price Increase from 1st March

ThdeDude

... sell fewer products at increasing cost, and become economically insolvent. We need these companies to continue to produce the products we need- think of how the film and large format markets have changed in the last decade....
I just ordered the Rodenstock 90mm HR lens which may be my last purchase for a long long time.
Probably good idea to get any Rodenstock lens missing in the "collection" as long as still available from the factory. Also if Copal shutter is desired. The Schneider 120mm f/5.6 Apo-Digitar Aspherical is a good example what could happen to a desired lens as to price and availability when no longer in production.

Could this price hike indicate a maximization of existing stock in view of ended production? The usefulness/need of retrofocus lens designs has largely ended with the shift to back-illuminated sensor.

Paul Spinnler

The lenses are in production and will stay in production. As mentioned, the primary reason is increasing margins as the B2B side is a lot more profitable and because input costs have also increased a bit.

As long as they do not have invest in R&D (for which there is no need), they will continue selling the lenses. They make a low million amount of revenues with them and with the price increase also a good profit.

Do not forget that Linhofstudio, Rod, are just businesses - that is, after the special sale is before the special sale. It is February and at the beginning of the year sales are typically very slow as people spent their dry power before Xmas and tax year cutoff dates. So any good storyline to drive a bit sales is good enough, of course. Can be also a good way to clear inventory. And to be fair, it is a good thing to be made aware of potential price increases / special sales.

Point is that you will be able to buy the lenses after March too and the end price increase by the manufacturers will be a lot lower if anything as the price increase just affects the first element in the product value chain.

Last edited:

ThdeDude

It seems like the MFD will become the next film market…
I think that it is likely that P1 will bring out a new DB once they have "global shutter" or, alternatively, a "rolling shutter" with a fast ES readout.

Probably with the same intended market placement duration like the IQ4-150, which has been now on the market since almost four years.

Might something come afterwards? Who knows?

Seems to be the general consensus that Hasselblad's H system is going (went) the way of the dodo.

Last edited:

ThdeDude

The lenses are in production and will stay in production ... they will continue selling the lenses. They make a low million amount of revenues with them and with the price increase also a good profit.
Sounds like you have personal, first hand knowledge.

Once the HB CFV-100c is available, and especially its follow-up with "global shutter", there might be a market for simpler, non-retrofocus lenses.

Paul Spinnler

There will be no global shutter back anytime soon. I don’t understand why you are perpetually make this point. There is not full frame MFD global shutter available, the one existing is smaller then crop MFD and made for industrial applications.

A representative from P1 told me that it is not fit for photographic purposes like the IQ4 150.

On Rodenstock, yes, I happen to be very well informed from sources within the industry.

As said, the bride is being prepped and the photo division is revenue wise just a drop in the bucket and as such it needs to at least achieve profitability at the same level as the B2B side.

JeffK

I am certainly not holding my breath. But I see it as a question of "when" and not "if".
I share the same confidence. But for the hope we’ll one day have FTL starships, transporters, and replicators!! Live long and prosper!

ThdeDude

I share the same confidence. But for the hope we’ll one day have FTL starships, transporters, and replicators!! Live long and prosper!
Not getting it! Current sensor development is clearly moving towards faster readout times, and eventually "global shutter".

For decades I hoped that eventually we will see a 4x5" sensor but this is now as unlikely whatever you mentioned.

JeffK

Not getting it! Current sensor development is clearly moving towards faster readout times, and eventually "global shutter".

For decades I hoped that eventually we will see a 4x5" sensor but this is now as unlikely whatever you mentioned.
Star Trek reference - future technology. Sci-Fi. I'm of the belief, if we can imagine it, we can make it.