The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider super angulon 47xl and rodenstock apo grandagon 45, which has more even illumination?

guphotography

I wonder if I can gather some information and first hand experiences on those two lenses.

I will be shooting 6x7 with one of them, wanting to pick the one that can do without a centre filter with modest movements.

Many thanks

4x5Australian

Schneider states the image circle of the Super-Angulon 47XL as 166mm. The recommended centre filter IIIc has a 2-stop correction.

Rodenstock states the image circle of the Apo-Grandagon 45mm as 131mm. The recommended centre filter E67/86 has a 2.5-stop correction.

On that comparison, the Super-Angulon 47XL is more likely to provide the more even illumination with modest movements.

guphotography

Thank you Rod and Paul.

I have option to buy either for similar price, hence the question. Ideally I want to get away with centre filter if possible on 6x7.

I'll see if I can find some samples without centre filter on 6x7 on the web.

Nothing urgent, just some homework before M two arrives in a couple of weeks' time.

Alkibiades

47xl is a 4x5 inch lens and for that a really great lens but for 6x7 the simple super angulon mc 47 mm would be the best option. It is sharper than the xl and rodenstock and you get it for atractive prices. This lens has been also relabled as apo digitar 47...
You will need CF for all these lenses.

guphotography

47xl is a 4x5 inch lens and for that a really great lens but for 6x7 the simple super angulon mc 47 mm would be the best option. It is sharper than the xl and rodenstock and you get it for atractive prices. This lens has been also relabled as apo digitar 47...
You will need CF for all these lenses.
Thank you for the input, I did come across some discussion on the non xl version of the 47mm, will look into that further, since I actually have the centre filter for it already.

RodK

The Schneider has a traditional design, so it also has a need to be stopped down further than the 45mm from Rodenstock. For full movement both do better with center filters by the way. Both need to be stopped down at least 3 stops for full and flattest projection of image.

RodK

Oh, one more comment.

the Rodenstock will have more saturation using color than the Schneider 47mm.

Vivseries1

How does the wider Schneider 38mm F/5.6 XL compare with the 47mm Rodie and Super Angulon in terms of IQ? I have not been able to get much information about this lens.