The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma new products annoucement in 6 days !

Hulyss Bowman

Hello my dear folks,

Hope your 2020/21 year was good and you was abble to product some good photos even in this troubled times.

One year ago I sold all my gear to induce an emotional response, because after all the gear I bought I became spoiled at a high level, so much that I was thinking about only Iphone for digital and large format for analog.

Well, the thing is that what trully excited me in all those years is my starting years and sigma images. My hope is in a "sensor regression" from sigma to find again what so many of us loved and still love in those images.

So, maybe, we might see a new camera ? Something like a 12mp 24x36 upscaled F13 sensor in a DP body ? well hope is still present and for now we must wait.

Cheers !

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/news/2021/09/02/16182/

ggibson

Don't want to dash hopes too much here (I have some as well), but don't expect a new camera this year or possibly even next. They had to scrap their 60MP foveon plans and restart sensor development earlier this year. They even issued an apology to customers:

Perhaps they'll provide an update and insight into upcoming L-mount cameras this week. But that's the most I would expect.

This announcement will almost certainly be the rumored 24/2 and 90/2.8 contemporary lenses for L-mount and E-mount:

The 90/2.8 is quite compact and intriguing, actually.

Hulyss Bowman

Hello Graham,

I know about those events. We are in 2021 and I just "hope" that Sigma have found a new foundry. I don't know what the real problem is behind this sensor. Maybe some technology are lost ? We remember the first venue of the Merrill sensor and the mess around it (SD1 launched at around 6000 USD).

iiiNelson

I hope they will also announce the plan to design lenses for Z and RF mounts.
That’s up to Canon and Nikon to open their lens mount protocols to 3rd party lens designers. As it stands, everyone would need to reverse engineer lens compatibility with the newer mounts. With the costs of design and development increasing, I can’t imagine that’s a venture most want to spend unnecessary money on.

ggibson

The i series lenses are pretty nice. I have the 45/2.8 and the build quality is lovely. This small 90/2.8 is intriguing as a travel/hiking lens for both E and L mounts.

I've always much favored the DP series cameras for their compactness, but with so many small compact lenses, I'd be quite interested in a full frame L-mount Foveon camera to match. The FP seems a bit boxy, hopefully Sigma creates a camera takes a more ergonomic approach (and please, not the weird Quattro design). A compelling DP would need to be more akin to the size of the Ricoh GR III and IIIx.

iiiNelson

I wouldn’t mind a Sigma fp with a mechanical shutter and some of the things like hand grips and accessory attachments already included in the package. I like the idea of modular but they took a strong “Frankenstein” approach to their design and a lot of the modular pieces feel out of place like the EVF which isn’t flush with the body when attached. I know the aesthetics shouldn’t matter but they kinda do when you can get more elegant and well thought out options from the competition with E-mount/L-mount partners.