The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Skin tone issues with Epson P800

tobiasash

HI,

I have noticed that when printing portraits I am getting skin tones that have a distinct magenta shift in them.
My current workflow for printing is using a calibrated imac pro, Phocus for any editing, exporting to PS as a tiff for any sharpening or adjustments to image size and then using PS to control the printing on the Epson P800. I use Epsons Ultra Premium Glossy Photo paper.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you !

Not sure this will help, but twice with my P800 I started getting the same as you described and I tried several things to no avail. What worked for me was to do two head cleaning cycles.

tobiasash

Hi

You might need to profile your printer – ie not only calibrate your screen, but print out a colour chart and create a profile for printing purposes.

BR
Paul
Thank you Paul. I am going to investigate this. Much appreciated

tobiasash

Not sure this will help, but twice with my P800 I started getting the same as you described and I tried several things to no avail. What worked for me was to do two head cleaning cycles.
Thank you Patrick. I am printing something next week so I will let you know how it goes after the double head cleaning cycles. I hope its this simple!

HI,

I have noticed that when printing portraits I am getting skin tones that have a distinct magenta shift in them.
My current workflow for printing is using a calibrated imac pro, Phocus for any editing, exporting to PS as a tiff for any sharpening or adjustments to image size and then using PS to control the printing on the Epson P800. I use Epsons Ultra Premium Glossy Photo paper.

Having a new issue with my Epson SureColor P800 on Big Sur with newest Photoshop CC.

All of a sudden I am getting a magenta cast on my prints, I have printed the same way for years and am not a novice at this.

All nozzle checks are good and haven't changed my work flow at all portable printers wireless for travel, have even printed a test target which is showing me even more of a cast then I thought.

The most visible effect is in the skin tones, but over all am having a cast that I cant seem to get rid of.
Having a new issue with my Epson SureColor P800 on Big Sur with newest Photoshop CC.

All of a sudden I am getting a magenta cast on my prints, I have printed the same way for years and am not a novice at this.

All nozzle checks are good and haven't changed my work flow at all, have even printed a test target which is showing me even more of a cast then I thought.

The most visible effect is in the skin tones, but over all am having a cast that I cant seem to get rid of.

Talked to Epson and they seem to think it is a software issue.

Has anyone else had anything similar happen with them? I am doing all my printing through Photoshop which I have always done and am at my witts end.

Has an update broken the profiling? or is it somehow getting double profiled with out my knowledge?

Any suggestions would help....

tobiasash

All nozzle checks are good and haven't changed my work flow at all, have even printed a test target which is showing me even more of a cast then I thought.

Talked to Epson and they seem to think it is a software issue.

Has anyone else had anything similar happen with them? I am doing all my printing through Photoshop which I have always done and am at my witts end.

Has an update broken the profiling? or is it somehow getting double profiled with out my knowledge?

Any suggestions would help....
This sounds bad but I am happy to hear of someone else experiencing this issue! I thought I was going crazy

spassig

HI,

Do you sure that always the same applications and settings?
(In printer driver, ICC Profile).

Jochen

Paul Spinnler

With a printer profile you solve for the adjustments within the printing software and printing process to be made for a print to hit certain colour patch targets. The necessary delta is measured via a profiling device. Seems to me the easiest way to fix it as you just compensate for whatever changed on the OS, software or device level.

You need to print your target without color management, there is an adobe print utility for that which you can find online.

Print profiles based on measured targets printed w/o colour management in place to get the necessary adjustment profile to be plugged into the printing process as a paper and printer specific ICC profile in Photoshop and are the standard approach in fine art photography / print labs to make sure your printed colours match what you see on screen, assuming the screen as is also calibrated with a display profile that was also measured externally.

Color consistency requires a bit of work to get right, unfortunately a bit complex ... but a printer profiling device is highly recommended ... :)

You can also print first with the adobe printing utility (see below) without measuring anything with hardware and see whether you still see a tint. With this utility you make sure that there's no colour management distorting the print result.

Last edited: