The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So long for now my friends after 10+ years

Jeffg53

Vote with your feet, while complaining loudly. Who needs the grief. This has been such a great source of knowledge over many years

Paul Spinnler

I am saddened by this. Not sure direct censorship is the way.

IMHO, a one-liner to stay calm / tone it down after Algrove's contribution would have also been fine – in the end, all here are civilized and intelligent enough to keep it in order. We've been here for a while – no need to bring out the hammer. It is rather harmless chat about photo stuff.

Such actions without warning are never a good look in a public forum – in the end, it was a non-incendiary topic, mostly around technical aspects and some commentary on the marketplace as is often interesting given P1 chose to engage in 0 communication in the last YEARS. Quite natural if people invest their savings in 45k digital boxes that they want to talk about not knowing what's going on. There are no direct sales reps anymore (they got fired) and dealers also don’t know what’s coming.

A touch of frustration is also natural considering this lack of roadmap and being told that adding tilt costs the equivalent of a Rolex nowadays.

Look at Lula today. The last three MFD posts are from July, Sept, early Oct. Forums can die.

IMHO a forum lives off of interesting discussions and lively back and forth and not censorship – which demotivates further contribution.

Hope that was okay to say.

Last edited:

drevil

Staff member
incredible how illusional some people are, Communism is here!!!! HAHAHAHA

i define censorship a bit different, as i lived in china for 12 years, its when stuff gets deleted and the illusion is created something didnt exist. and people disappear!
i locked a thread, because i got reports again about Paul Spinnler language, not because of ALs comments.
i locked the thread because paul constantly creates these rants about nonsense stuff, will P1 go bankcrupt? maybe, its their business decisions that will carry them there or on cloud number 7.
to start my own little rant, this is a photographic forum, yes the technical aspects can be part of it, but it has exploded lately and was pushed to the front row. at least it feel

correct me, but i havent seen a single images created by paul or techtalk, its just about technical and business with those two and both of them claim for themselves to know the ultimate truth about those topics.

i have better things to do, i will unlock the thread and inform olaf to remove my privileges as a moderator

cheers

Paul Spinnler

1698223086147.jpeg

A wintery scene – Zurich, Alpa Pano, SK 120 ASPH stiched. IQ4A. Just a glimpse.

I just prefer to keep photography as a passion to myself which I share with friends. I have shot a lot of photography, on all formats – 6x9 to 8x10 with everything in-between, from Aptus 12 to IQ4 across a variety of systems including all manufacturers. I will also go to extraordinary lengths to get the shot. I have a Brandenburger Tor scene I waited hours for with my 8x10 so nobody – except one person – would stand in front of it and will re-work it many times to get the colours right. Sometimes I work with assistants on location for logistics, but also for location permissions, especially in Italy.

I don't want to start to seek out 3rd party confirmation for what I shoot as I enjoy photography as a personal passion, but I find the business aspect of the industry very interesting as I've gotten to know many protagonists in the real world. Also it is fastly changing, so it is interesting to see what the players do and how it all pans out.

Here's a sample of my Berlin series in 8x10. Neue Schönhauser Allee.

1698224130573.jpeg

Scanned on an IQSmart 3. F-Metric 8x10, Super Symmar XL 210. Kodak NC160.

Detail crop – I shot this in 2011 before the gentrification of Berlin Mitte in the 2010s...

1698224482272.jpeg

A lot of my 8x10 stuff hangs at friends' houses in Diasec, C-print, mostly large-scale.

Here's the "Berghain Cathedral" after people left, I guess early afternoon. Sironar-S 360. this one on Kodak NC. Also long wait there with a 20kg setup until the scene was unencumbered (if you know sth about the after parties there):

1698226298131.jpeg

Currently working on a huge beachscape set and working on my own film profiling techniques.

My comments are not "nonsense rants" – I have a deep working background in finance, law, and private equity and often base commentary on real-world insights through discussions and analysis. Phase, one of two remaining back manufacturers in the field, engages in 0 comms and is not saying anything about whether and how one can upgrade one's lenses. If that doesn't deserve discussion and analysis in a topical sub-forum – I don't know.

My aim is to keep it civil, fact- and information-based and have interesting discussions.

Last edited:

alajuela

incredible how illusional some people are, Communism is here!!!! HAHAHAHA

i define censorship a bit different, as i lived in china for 12 years, its when stuff gets deleted and the illusion is created something didnt exist. and people disappear!
i locked a thread, because i got reports again about Paul Spinnler language, not because of ALs comments.
i locked the thread because paul constantly creates these rants about nonsense stuff, will P1 go bankcrupt? maybe, its their business decisions that will carry them there or on cloud number 7.
to start my own little rant, this is a photographic forum, yes the technical aspects can be part of it, but it has exploded lately and was pushed to the front row. at least it feel

correct me, but i havent seen a single images created by paul or techtalk, its just about technical and business with those two and both of them claim for themselves to know the ultimate truth about those topics.

i have better things to do, i will unlock the thread and inform olaf to remove my privileges as a moderator

cheers

alajuela

I lived in China for 16 years and I believe your move to close the thread because you didn’t like Paul’s comments was wrong.

dj may

I was surprised that the thread was closed. I saw nothing disrespectful or offensive stated. The spirit of what was a uniquely refreshing photography forum is being smothered by one person. Better that he be removed than a slow bleed of contributors.

I already had one foot out the door when I saw this thread.

TechTalk

I've been on a few different photographic forums for more than 15 years. I don't share images online and I've always posted using a pseudonym for my own personal reasons and that won't change. I discuss whatever is of personal interest — sometimes that may be a technical topic or sometimes documented technology and business trends which are tightly intertwined in the photography equipment market — with the hope that a few others may find it's of some value or interest to themselves as well.

I've never lost sight of the fact that I'm only a guest at the party here and if I'm not welcome or what I contribute is not seen to be of value by the host, I'll leave with no hard feelings whatsoever. I am, as I said, nothing more than a guest here and realize my participation here is not essential to either the forum or to myself.

Personally, I think you've done a fine job as moderator here. I would only ask that if you don't find adequate value in my participation, you be more discreet and advise me privately rather than publicly. It doesn't matter much to me — I'm not emotionally invested in online forums — but I think showing such discretion in your feelings toward any individuals would be better for the forum.

Paul Spinnler

Similarly to techtalk I am more interested in discussing technical and market topics and enjoying photography for myself, but I feel it was necessary based on Drevil's comment above to rectify a bit the notion that I just comment on markets and don't shoot photography - I felt it was not such a nice comment. In fact, many of my photos are printed and hanging. I will post pictures from time to time.

On the mod side, I will take it up directly, to sort this out, but I felt an emotional charge / and bias since the Hassy threads and my comments as it touched countries and ways of doing business in other cultures and I understand it might have led to some subconscious bias given background. For example when he time-bans me, to then comment on it, without me being able to say anything, that's not nice. I got a personal excuse thereafter, but it seems we need to talk it out still so it is fully positive going forward.

I want to rectify this and be constructive.

In any case, after the Hassy threads I decided to mostly stop commenting on Hassy topics – it is not worth being drawn into these discussions anymore for me.

On the P1 thread on the technical issue – I don't know. I mean I tried to raise a technical concern from a customer perspective as it impacts the value of lenses, but maybe this too contentious for the new getpi. I tried to be as factual as possible and respectful. I also feel it adds colour for interested P1 XT system owners.

On the other hand, one needs to be realistic in the sense that the forum is not neutral anymore, with a dealer as the sponsor and an industry-embedded publication at the top. I mean DT contributors completely left the forum – a clear loss of voices. Olaf has reached out in a friendly manner and I'll try clarify the understanding of what topics are henceforth "allowed" on this forum and what not. If some topics are off-limit, these are the rules. I get that.

If the result of the deliberations is that one cannot comment on the big manufacturer anymore, then I'll just post a picture here and there and that's it. Or maybe nothing. As said, I don't need third-party validation for my personal passion and if one cannot talk about the products or industry then it is a different forum.

I always liked the aspect of getdpi to have a bit more deeper discussions on the industry, but understand as techtalk rightly put it that we are all guests at someone else's party and someone else needs to also pay for the party.

This said, I cherish this place and will try to sort it out in a most positive way with Olaf / Drevil.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Paul,

Thank you for posting those images. It does help us (well, me, anyway) understand where you're coming from (slang, but useful slang). I would ask one thing of you. If your argument is based on non-public or NDA covered information, then it would be better not to allude to it at all. It's difficult to respond to - or even understand - a point based on "I know something but can't tell you what".

Best,

Matt

PS. I like the Winter Scene very much and have great admiration for anyone who can wrestle with 8x10 film!

Paul Spinnler

Thanks Matt, no NDAs involved. I just have too many lenses on my desk and I can see the X shutter positioning on same focal length lenses is different. And I was told many months ago that I cannot transfer X lenses onto other platforms without replacement. Very surprised of course as typically a lens transfer is just a mount swap, ie not expensive and you don't need to replace the full lens. I've many times swapped lenses between manufacturers, e.g. I just unmounted a Cambo lens to put it on an Arca – costs a bit more than a grand. I feel it is not right that XT owners don't know this - at least I didn't realize I am buying a forever-system-fixed lens.

Then the promotion came with just a replacement option although I looked forward to upgrading my kit through the bench. I just wanted to raise awareness as I felt a wall of silence and hoped to get a public explanation. That's all. Its inference with indirect confirmation – being quoted just a replacement option.

Yes the 8x10 is hardcore. Funnily enough the hardship and cost involved makes it so that most pictures are real keepers. You know how many times I think and re-compose before blasting through a sheet of 8x10? Many times.

I have a freezer full of 5x7 and 8x10 Kodak, but recently hadn't time to do shoot – it is just so much effort and scaling stairs with 20kg on the back goes into the knees ...

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

I was surprised that the thread was closed. I saw nothing disrespectful or offensive stated. The spirit of what was a uniquely refreshing photography forum is being smothered by one person. Better that he be removed than a slow bleed of contributors.

I already had one foot out the door when I saw this thread.
You refer to the OP?

Paul Spinnler

No. I mean a moderator that uses personal opinions as a basis (means) for control. I guess I was not clear enough.
Thanks for clarifying, Jesse. I think we may be neighbours in Zurich (same lake side) and one of the rare people owning an S3 with an S24 lens, btw.!