The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Softproofing in Lightroom

dchew

I've been using LR for a long time, and often use soft proofing to print, especially in two situations: 1) when I have to send a file to an outside printer, or 2) when printing on matte paper.

I've noticed something recently when soft proofing. My normal procedure is to go into soft proofing mode ("S"), select the desired profile and rendering intent w/ Simulate Paper and Ink checked. Then click "Create Proof Copy" and using the Before/After screen adjust the proof preview to match the master copy. I've noticed lately that the master copy sometimes looks different in soft proofing mode. I know the surround changes to match the paper brightness, but that is not what I'm talking about. The image itself sometimes, but not always, looks different. If I toggle "s" while in the before/after screen, both images change their appearance when this happens.

On the other hand, when the soft proofing mode seems to be working, turning soft proofing on/off only changes the Proof Preview; the Master Copy does not change.

It feels like this is a bug. Has anyone else noticed this?

Dave

Rand47

Dave,

My normal workflow is to soft proof and print from Lightroom Classic, so I read your post above and thought I'd go check it out.

My situation: Windows 10, calibrated NEC PA 302w.

I chose a colorful image and created "proof copy," then hit the "YY" option for "Master / Proof Preview" side by side. Background color chosen is "Paper White."

If in this view I toggle the S key, it "feels like" I see a tiny shift in the image. BUT, if I zoom in on the frame so that no "paper white" surround is visible, they look identical when I toggle S on and off.

In any event, even the perceived shift that I do see with a paper white surround, is VERY minor.

Rand

dchew

Thank you for checking it out, Rand. I think I know what you are experiencing, and that is not what I'm talking about. I see that as "normal" operation. What I see when it does not function correctly is pretty obvious and not subtle. I did post in the Adobe LR community, and apparently there is some known bug that has to do with the gpu operation. Not sure if it is just Mac or something more broad. As long as I am aware of when it is doing this, I can restart LR and get it to work.

Ciao,
Dave

Rand47

Dave,

I was pretty sure that what I was seeing was normal behavior due to the influence of the paper white surround.

Rand