The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

street images, any camera

Anniesdad

Honolulu Zoo

Street2-1800.jpg

It was a very warm Sunday afternoon at the Honolulu Zoo in the mid 1980s.

This was taken on the large, park-like front lawn. Many families were having picnic lunches.

Someone was throwing handfuls of popcorn to the pigeons. There was an enormous number of the birds. Several hundred, at least. Maybe five hundred. Every time the corn was thrown almost the entire flock would startle, fly up about ten feet, "cooing" very loudly and excitedly. Then settle back to earth to eat their prizes. But even louder than their cooing was the startling, rustling sound of their flapping wings. Maybe angel wings sound like that.

Loud cooing and very serious flapping. The entire group rising as one and then settling back to the ground, rhythmically about every 15 seconds. Over and over and over. It was mesmerizing. Startingly white.

I shot into that amazing cloud almost blindly, letting the camera autofocus the 70-210mm zoom lens at full zoom, knowing it would lock on something, somewhere in that fluttering mass. Otherwise focusing was impossible. I was hoping to get a solid wall of bird bodies. I shot 4 frames of Kodachrome 64.

Three frames came out just as I had hoped. In the fourth, the "cloud" parted for an instant and the camera also imaged the little boy in the red shirt.

I never noticed him until I saw the slides weeks later. He was nowhere near the birds when the shot was made. He was 30-50 feet behind them, sitting there with his family. But the long lens compressed the distance and he looks like he's among them, with a look of awe, mouth wide, appearing to be part of that amazing scene.

Sometimes we get lucky.

Rich

Last edited:

urod

See and be seen. Families and strollers make their appearance in the southern European towns at the weekend. They proudly walk up and down the central square of the town in front of the attentive village community.

We belong, they say with their convivial appearance. But finer messages are also sent: We are in love, our marriage is still fine, I am available.... The possibilities are endless.

01 - Flaneure he 1000.jpg

Flaunting on the brightly lit market square

02 - Flaneure he 1000.jpg

Every detail is carefully registered...

03 - Flaneure he 1000.jpg

Concentrated and interested

04 - Flaneure he 1000.jpg

The proud mum, the newly in love, and, and, and...

05 - Flaneure he 1000.jpg

You have to know what...

07 - Flaneure he 1000.jpg

The beautiful one, on the edge and yet always in the centre....​

Best regards, Uli