The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sturdy Z9 & Z 600 mm TC!

UliM.

Hi guys,
I want to share my experiences with my Z9 & Z 600mm TC and the "security" of the QD system with Magpul QD Swivel Adapter: I've been using it for a good year now, many hours of use on the Kirk LP71 lens base with QD mounted on my Nikkor Z 600 TC and the Nikon Z9. Then yesterday it happened: for no apparent reason, after carrying the camera-lens combination for hours, the connection came loose and the top of the camera crashed into the stony gravel path I was walking on. Some dirt pushed deep into all sorts of cracks, camera top scratched and two deeper notches in the eyepiece area. Since the Nikon is very sturdy (I didn't really want to proof that), everything worked perfectly so far: lens & camera seem to hyve no functinal issues....
QD adapter checked, reinserted, snapped in, pull and shake test: bombproof...
On the several kilometer long way back from the terrain, I first carried the camera-lens combo in my hands and when my arms got longer, I connected the belt with the Magpul QD adapter again, tested it thoroughly and gave it a furher try (my fault). After 2 kilometers of walking through the forest, the connection came off for no reason again and the camera hit softer grassy ground.
There may have been other photographers with similar experiences: at the biggest german onlineshop for outdoor/wildlife-photography ("augenblicke-eingefangen") the company produces and offers an own series of lens base plates with 2 QD-mounts in each plate, the argue that would be "even more safe" than using only one safe QD-mount.... I thought: safe means safe, but ....
Conclusion: I think I will never ever use the system for my very expensive cameras and lenses, then to be on the safe side I use screw connections again like the Sun Sniper Rotaball Pro system....or other recommendations from you for heavy camera-lens-combos ?
Best,. Uli
IMG_1581-2.jpgIMG_1582-2.jpgIMG_1583-2.jpgIMG_1584-2.jpg

vjbelle

Wow!!! Thanks for posting and am very sorry for your experience. I have that adaptor and have always worried about the entire QD system for reliability. Your post has convinced me that I can no longer trust the QD system. It sure is convenient but for sure not 100% reliable.

Victor B.

jduncan

Hi guys,
I want to share my experiences with my Z9 & Z 600mm TC and the "security" of the QD system with Magpul QD Swivel Adapter: I've been using it for a good year now, many hours of use on the Kirk LP71 lens base with QD mounted on my Nikkor Z 600 TC and the Nikon Z9. Then yesterday it happened: for no apparent reason, after carrying the camera-lens combination for hours, the connection came loose and the top of the camera crashed into the stony gravel path I was walking on. Some dirt pushed deep into all sorts of cracks, camera top scratched and two deeper notches in the eyepiece area. Since the Nikon is very sturdy (I didn't really want to proof that), everything worked perfectly so far: lens & camera seem to hyve no functinal issues....
QD adapter checked, reinserted, snapped in, pull and shake test: bombproof...
On the several kilometer long way back from the terrain, I first carried the camera-lens combo in my hands and when my arms got longer, I connected the belt with the Magpul QD adapter again, tested it thoroughly and gave it a furher try (my fault). After 2 kilometers of walking through the forest, the connection came off for no reason again and the camera hit softer grassy ground.
There may have been other photographers with similar experiences: at the biggest german onlineshop for outdoor/wildlife-photography ("augenblicke-eingefangen") the company produces and offers an own series of lens base plates with 2 QD-mounts in each plate, the argue that would be "even more safe" than using only one safe QD-mount.... I thought: safe means safe, but ....
Conclusion: I think I will never ever use the system for my very expensive cameras and lenses, then to be on the safe side I use screw connections again like the Sun Sniper Rotaball Pro system....or other recommendations from you for heavy camera-lens-combos ?
Best,. Uli
View attachment 210225View attachment 210226View attachment 210227View attachment 210228

Hi,
THanks for sharing. I am traumatized for all the experiences where the sensor shield breaks and it took weeks to months for Nikon to repair it.
I am glad this was not the case here. Clearly, soil is soft compared to grable or concrete.

Best regards,