The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sunset Bar: Feedback Please

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
There is one area of the forum that causes problems. And you guessed it right. It is the SUNSET BAR. In general, I like the idea of the Sunset Bar – a place when we can discuss things in a laissez faire atmosphere without censoring too much. However, we have to make a decision. Despite the idea of having a HYDE PARK on our platform, we are receiving numerous complaints about the content there. I will refrain from injecting my own opinions about the discussions, but we need to make a serious decision about the future of the SUNSET BAR.

1. My first idea was to write a disclaimer “ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK” and let it be a space free of excessive moderation.
  2. The second idea is to leave it, stay away from politics and religion and as Jack suggested, “limit it to discussing anything *photography related* not suited for anywhere else.”
  3. The third idea is to get rid of it for good.

I would like to hear from you. Please refrain from social or political commentary in responses. We all differ and stating your political/social position won’t help us in solving this issue. I would appreciate if you just indicate your choice and/or share any other ideas. Thank you in advance.

SimonW

Administrator
Staff member
What about adding a sub forum under sunset bar for political discussions. Then people can still have the 'off topic' discussions but can actively stay away from political discussions

dave.gt

:) Just my humble opinion, as you requested:

#1 is a disaster waiting to happen.

#2 has worked well in the past.

#3 has merit.

I suggest sticking with #2 for the time being. Seriously, this year has placed enough stress on everyone and a safe harbor is what I personally prefer. Thank you for your open and honest effort to provide the best photography related forum experience.

darr

Purely a female opinion here so take it any way you choose to or not ...

From what I have seen in the past, some members need to voice political opinions bc they know history, economics, like being opinionated, etc.
And others may want a space to show off 'nude bodies in bondage' or 'misdirected posings of a naked person' that IMO is corny as hell! :eek: :ROFLMAO:
I know where not to stray that may make me blush, and as long as their postings do not show up mislabeled in "New Posts," I hopefully will never see them . 🙏

Please give them the basement. In the past it was titled "NSFW" (not safe for wife/work/wisdom) or they may get grumpy to deal with.

Darr

TimoK

What happens when I'm down and out?
In another photography forum I lost my keyword and now I can't do anything. I have no way to take part. Their system doesn't let me do anything to help my situation.
So, what happens here in GetDpi Forum if I forget my keyword or other things like my name or others? Is there any address I can email w/o registration?

Godfrey

1. My first idea was to write a disclaimer “ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK” and let it be a space free of excessive moderation.
  2. The second idea is to leave it, stay away from politics and religion and as Jack suggested, “limit it to discussing anything *photography related* not suited for anywhere else.”
  3. The third idea is to get rid of it for good.
Darr, you are a genius. :)

I'd suggest a slightly modified #2 ... be sure that it's clear that "photography related" is considered a loose constraint, and be up front that admins and moderators are understood to monitor the content and will lock or delete threads that in their opinion are out of bounds for the forum, without response to appeals. In particular, that threads raised to complain about such deletions and locks will be deleted immediately out of hand.

In other words, "Go play, be courteous to each other, and accept/trust the judgment of the moderators ... then we will all get along fine." :D

G

Godfrey

What happens when I'm down and out?
In another photography forum I lost my keyword and now I can't do anything. I have no way to take part. Their system doesn't let me do anything to help my situation.
So, what happens here in GetDpi Forum if I forget my keyword or other things like my name or others? Is there any address I can email w/o registration?
I imagine that email to [email protected] should do what you are looking for. It's listed at the bottom of every page, I think.

G

jng

I think this forum is absolutely the wrong place for any political discussion .
It has been like this and it should stay like this .
I agree. Even if limited to a specific "adults only, enter at your own risk" sub-forum, the grumpiness and at times toxicity of political debates these days have a way of permeating into other discussions. This is one reason why I abandoned that "other" medium format-focused site (which shall remain nameless).

I appreciate and look forward to the continuing civility, mutual respect and great photography shared by fellow GetDPI members on this site.

My two ¢.

John