The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

tell me about the FE 100-400 GM

hcubell

Assuming the use of manual focus in magnified live view on a tripod, which lens is likely to perform better optically at f/8 to f16: the GM 100-400 at 300 and 400 or the 70-200 GM with the 1.4x and 2x GM TCs? I need a longish lens for shooting landscapes in Italy. This would be with an A7RII.
Thanks for any feedback.

Pradeep

Assuming the use of manual focus in magnified live view on a tripod, which lens is likely to perform better optically at f/8 to f16: the GM 100-400 at 300 and 400 or the 70-200 GM with the 1.4x and 2x GM TCs? I need a longish lens for shooting landscapes in Italy. This would be with an A7RII.
Thanks for any feedback.

I tried various combinations recently in my quest for an answer to a similar question.

No doubt in my mind that the native 100-400 will perform better than the 70-200 with a TC. If you are using that long a focal length, you would by necessity want a small aperture for DOF anyway, so f11 or more is what you would need.

FWIW, I shot with the 100-400 on my A9 with the 1.4x TC on it, superb performer. Will post some examples. Of course this was in an attempt to get maximum reach.

k-hawinkler

I tried various combinations recently in my quest for an answer to a similar question.

No doubt in my mind that the native 100-400 will perform better than the 70-200 with a TC. If you are using that long a focal length, you would by necessity want a small aperture for DOF anyway, so f11 or more is what you would need.

FWIW, I shot with the 100-400 on my A9 with the 1.4x TC on it, superb performer. Will post some examples. Of course this was in an attempt to get maximum reach.
Thanks for the comparison, as I don’t have the 70-200/2.8 GM OSS lens and am not planning to get it. I agree the 100-400/4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens is excellent, including when used with the TCs. I also prefer it over the 70-300/4.5-5.6 G OSS lens that cannot be used with the TCs.

hcubell

Thanks. This very helpful. I will order the 100-400, and save myself some money. I also have the X1D with the HC 300mm lens that I can try with and without the 1.7X Hasselblad converter. (With the TC, the HC 300 is like a 400mm lens on the X1D.) I think the 100-400 is an all around better choice as the image quality will likely be close and perhaps better, with the additional advantage of its huge range.

gurtch

Sony 100-400mm at 400mm hand held with monopod. 1/500 sec at f14. This lens so far seems like a winner. Thanks for publishing the 1.4x shots....I need one!!!
Dave in NJ
D769 framed.jpg