The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trading in 1q4 150

f8orbust

You mean trade in an IQ4-150 for credit towards an IQ4-150? That's a new one on me, but each to his own.

So long as everything checks out, I can't see a dealer passing on the deal ... but realistically you'd be $$$$ better off selling the IQ4-150 (e.g. on GetDPI) and then putting the money towards the new DB. Of course, trading in has it's advantages (e.g. no tire kickers), but it hits you in your pocket. An IQ4-150 in genuinely like new condition is going to net you about $16.5k as a trade in, when you could sell it privately for around the $19k mark (a bit more if there's still warranty left on it). That said, one classed as 'heavily used' is only going to net you $9600 as a trade in (if the dealer would even wants it), and might prove a hard sell privately depending on just how beaten up it is. For reference, one that is classed as 'good condition', which most IQ4-150 DBs which have been taken good care of but are out of warranty fall into, is (at the time of writing) worth about $13.7k as a trade-in.

ThdeDude

A P1 customer service associate indicated to me that the last version of the IQ3-100 has improved components, i.e. differs from an earlier version.

Wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that a newly manufactured IQ4-150 could incorporate some improvements over the '18 "model year" IQ4-150. It's of course whole nother question whether any upgrade is worth the cost and hassle.

Last edited:

guphotography

I've noticed that some of the IQ3 tri backs were sent to Denmark when it comes to servicing, while some went to Japan, that could explain why.

Paul Spinnler

The servicing change has to do with the fact that Axcel after its 2019 acquisition of P1 moved all hardware-related photo stuff to its Mamiya Japan subsidiary. I would assume that Europe has customer service, R&D – partially – and management while hardware servicing, production and logistics are handled by the former Mamiya unit.

drevil

Staff member
Well my Achromatic+ was sent to denmark, and by the turnaround time my guess would be it was serviced in denmark as well

buildbot

Well my Achromatic+ was sent to denmark, and by the turnaround time my guess would be it was serviced in denmark as well
Maybe they only do IQ series servicing in Japan? Or the staff in denmark just really wanted to see an Achromatic+ for contax! (There has to be what, less than 100, maybe less than 50 of those in existence?)

drevil

Staff member
a p1 supporter said it could be a handful only.

i know another guy on flickr who has one, bear images seem to have a few, new and used(for absolutely rediculous prices)
who knows maybe its even less than 10

Paul Spinnler

I think servicing location depends on the servicing need and product type. Sensor replacement, new sensor and XF (Mamiya body, SK optics produced in Japan) products = Japan. XT stuff Denmark as a hub coordinating repairs between Rodenstock and Cambo. Smaller back stuff in Denmark.

I think it is not that mysterious.

Will Deleon

I think servicing location depends on the servicing need and product type. Sensor replacement, new sensor and XF (Mamiya body, SK optics produced in Japan) products = Japan. XT stuff Denmark as a hub coordinating repairs between Rodenstock and Cambo. Smaller back stuff in Denmark.

I think it is not that mysterious.
The shutter on my XF recently exploded mid-shoot and I had to send it to phase in Colorado for repair. Maybe they opened up a place here in the states for these kinds of services.

Paul Spinnler

I just know that when I ordered my new acbhromatic back and XF stuff it was shipped from Japan.

When I had an issue with an XT lens it was shipped to Denmark which then coordinated with Rodenstock and Cambo.

The XF's shutter seems to me the classic example of an easily replaceable part where the system designers made sure it can be done at a local service partner.

What I am saying: it depends on the problem and some things are just replacement parts (shutter) other things more high touch (broken sensor) and new products depending on the product line have an origin either in Japan or Europe.

I bet shutters can be replaced with the right screwdriver and a service manual if you have the parts ...