The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using Schneider-Kreutznach Makro-Iris Apo-Componon lenses on a digital view camera

SwissBear

I remember @rdeloe having mentioned that Schneider-Kreutznach Apo-Componon Makro-Iris 60 and 90mm were good options for use on digital view cameras like Cambo Actus or Arca-Swiss F-Universalis.

I noticed that Makro-iris lenses are supplied by Schneider-Kreutznach for industrial applications in v38 mounts, which are kind of proprietary.
They a offering a bunch of adapters from v38 to m42 and other camera mounts, but not for m39 which seems a more standard system.

Has anybody found a suitable adapter to mount such Makro-Iris on a m39 lens plate ?
Thanks,

Pierre

SwissBear

OK. It seems that the M39 adapter is what they call Leica in their price list.
Sorry about this request :)

rdeloe

There are third party versions of the V-mount adapter too. RAF Camera sells them (on eBay and via his website). There are also Chinese versions on eBay, which work fine.
Look for "schneider v38" on eBay to find the RAF versions, and "schneider v mount" to find some Chinese ones. One advantage of the Chinese models is they only move the lens forward 5mm on the flange, whereas the Schneider version is 6mm. For longer lenses that's irrelevant, but for the APO-Componon 60/4, you may need that mm (see below).

I recommend the Schneider-Kreutznach Apo-Componon Makro-Iris 90mm f/4.5 without reservation. The image circle is large and the image quality is superb. Just be aware that it comes in multiple versions. Mine was labelled "Type -0024", which I've learned is the same as the Type -0025. The various models are calibrated for specific magnification ratios in industrial applications. My Type -0024 is superb as a taking lens.

The Schneider-Kreutznach Apo-Componon Makro-Iris 60mm f/4 is a very nice lens. I don't have it anymore but I liked it a lot. The problem is the image circle is a bit tiny. On a 33mm x 44mm sensor you shouldn't expect more than 8mm of shift. That was plenty for normal applications, but it's not enough if you want to flat stitch. The lens also has strong light falloff at wide apertures. Where I used it (f/8 to f/16), it was not an issue. The other problem with this lens is the flange distance is short so mounting it can be tricky. Ideally a recessed board is needed so that there's enough room between the standards for movements.

The nomenclature around threads can be confusing! As I understand it, Leica popularized the 39mm x 1/26th inch thread. It's common on enlarger lenses for small formats. I've seen it referred to as "Leica thread", "LTM" (for Leica Thread Mount), and just M39. You have to make sure that anything that is labelled just M39 is actually 1/26th inch thread pitch, or it won't work.

SwissBear

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for this insightful response.
The Apo-Componon 90mm I have purchased is -0024 like yours. I could not really test it last week-end as it was not properly fitting the 39mm lens holder and scotch taping was not accurate enough ;). I have found the RAF adapter which is offered as M39x1 which means 39mm x 1mm. It should work as 1 inch = 25.2 mm.
Thanks again.

Pierre

rdeloe

RAF's products are excellent, and he also does custom work for a very good price.

Unfortunately, the difference between M39x1 and M39 x 1/26th inch is significant. You'll be able to turn an M39x1 threaded part into a M39 x 1/26th inch mount a tiny bit before it jams. More pressure will destroy the threads. I found this out the hard way...